Easy fudges-30 people

spaniels, Oct 10, 9:13am
Hi I want to make 3-4 types of really easy fudges for my parents 50th wedding ann to have with coffee. Im only a very basic cook. Please help!

elliehen, Oct 10, 9:39am
CREAMY, NO-BEAT FUDGE

Bring to boil on medium heat stirring ALL the time:
1 cup brown sugar
125 gm butter (room temp so you're not starting from rock hard)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon golden syrup

Simmer on low for ten minutes, stirring ALL the time all around the pot to prevent little brown bits forming

Remove from heat and quickly stir in till melted 100 gms WHITTAKER'S white chocolate

Pour into 20 cm square tin lined with baking paper

Do not cut until completely cold, for neat edges (the chocolate needs time to set)

Variations:

+ Add 1 cup roughly chopped walnuts at the end after the chocolate

+ Add 1 tsp ground ginger at start of cooking and 1 cup chopped preserved ginger at the end after the chocolate

elliehen, Oct 10, 9:46am
CHOCOLATE FUDGE from grannypam, and endorsed by other posters who have tried it.

ralta, Oct 10, 10:06am
I've always found the chocolate fudge recipe from the Edmonds cook book to be a good one.
1/2 cup milk,1 tablespoon cocoa
2 cups sugar,vanilla essence to taste
25g butter.

Put milk sugar, butter & cocoa into a saucepan (either dissolve sugar on low heat before boiling mixture or use icing sugar).Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, then boil until soft ball stage (113-118 deg c, the soft ball flattens on removal from water).Cool 5 minutes, add vanilla & beat until thick.Pour into a buttered dish, mark & cut when set.

supercook, Oct 10, 8:58pm
It's not fudge but chocolate truffles go well with coffee.

duckmoon, Oct 10, 9:28pm
I would think about things like chocolate truffles
or a slice cut into bite sized pieces.

ralta, Oct 10, 10:46pm
there are plenty of non-cook slices & confectionery using condensed milk.You could always look up the Nestle site.

pamellie, Oct 10, 11:50pm
This is very yummy and easy. I think it might be a Sophie Gray recipe.

Chocolate Hazelnut and coffee liqueur truffles
Makes 49 pieces

500g chocolate – we use Whittakers 62% dark cacao
1 395g can sweetened condensed milk
4 tbsp coffee liqueur (we used Cafe Java)
1 tbsp butter
¾ cup hazelnuts, roasted, skinned and roughly chopped
Line a 20cm x 20cm baking tin with baking paper.
Spread hazelnuts on a baking tray and put in an oven set on 190degC fan bake for 5-10 minutes. You will be able to smell the roasted hazelnut aroma when they are ready and the skins will have become crisp and flaky.

Tip the nuts on to a clean tea towel, and roll them round rubbing gently to slough off the skins. Pick out the skinned nuts, and don’t worry if a small quantity of skin remains.

Place a small saucepan containing a couple of centimetres of water on the element to heat. Set a heat proof bowl over but not in contact with the hot water. Break the chocolate into the bowl. As soon as the water is simmering remove the pan from the heat and stir the chocolate continuously allowing the residual heat from the hot water to gently melt the chocolate.

While the chocolate is melting, in another saucepan, gently warm the sweetened condensed milk, and stir in the coffee liqueur and butter.
When the chocolate is completely melted, mix in the sweetened condensed milk mixture and the toasted skinned hazelnuts.

Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and place in the fridge to set.

Once chocolate is set, cut into 49, 2.5 cm cubes.

asue, Oct 11, 1:17am
Look in the bakery section of your supermarket and just buy some squares as could be cheaper if you are not much of a baker. Cut them up into bite size pieces.I would only have a mix of about 50 pieces with only 30 people there as alot of people don't eat sweets anymore.Also truffles or rum balls are great too.

guardy, Oct 11, 1:22am
Bakery section a good idea though watch the best before date as some have oodles of preservative.What part of NZ are you in!Couplands bakeries are heaps cheaper and use little preservatives.They are everywhere in the south Is and have just opened in Hamilton and Rotorua.

spaniels, Oct 11, 4:56am
Thanks heaps folk. Will also make a couple of easy slices. cheers