I have a packet of flakey pastry

datoofairy, Oct 10, 3:38am
What is something quick and easy to make with it!I dont want to make a pie, or those cheese straw things.
Usually with spare pastry I mix brown sugar, cinnamon and butter and make pinwheels but we are sick of them now.
I have no jam to make jam wraps.
Whats something else super easy to make!

geldof, Oct 10, 3:54am
Something like amille feuille.!
Cook pastry and layer with cream, berries, or lemon curd etc

custard squares

datoofairy, Oct 10, 3:58am
This mille feuille thing.I think I saw this on Masterchef recently.Is that where you roll the pastry out really thin and poke it repeatedly with a fork, cut and bake!Then layer everything!
I have a tin of blackberries.And ice cream.Would it be yum if I bake the pastry as above and then layer it with the blackberries and ice cream!Or would the tinned berries be too wet and ruin the pastry!

elliehen, Oct 10, 4:05am
Retro Eccles Cakes!

Cut pastry into saucer sized rounds and put in the middle of each a Tablespoon or two of this mixture:
1 apple, grated
4 Tablespoons raisins
2 Tablespoons currants
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp mixed spice
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg

Put a little in the centre of each round, dab a bit of water on the edge and fold inwards.Put onto baking paper folded side down,press till fruit makes 'bumps', prick with a fork and sprinkle with sugar.

Bake 200*C for 10 to 15 minutes.

tigger22, Oct 10, 4:09am
Apple turnovers.Cut into squares, layer slices of apple, cinnamon, brown sugar and put another square on top.Squeeze edges together, poke holes in the top, sprinkle with more brownsugar, brush with milk and bake.

elliehen, Oct 10, 4:11am
Yes, that's 'Mille Feuilles' - a thousand leaves.I make this with filo pastry.That will work, although yoghurt mixed with whipped cream is a better option than ice-cream.

Cut rectangles, prick them, bake (watch, they'll burn quickly), cool and then put very well-drained blackberries and ice-cream between layers - three pastry 'slabs' works well.Sprinkle the tops with sifted icing sugar.

datoofairy, Oct 10, 4:14am
Thanks heaps everyone for your replies.
I'm really liking the sound of the mille feuilles.I'm going to pop out now and buy some yoghurt and cream, that sounds much nicer than ice cream.
Yummo!

datoofairy, Oct 10, 6:45am
Ha!I'm watching Who Wants To Be A Millionaire on Prime and the question just came up: Which sweet dish has a name which means "thousand leaves'!

Ours was delicious.I'll definitely be making it again.

elliehen, Oct 10, 6:58am
Thanks for coming back to report success.It's extra good in summer with fresh raspberries.