Inexpensive, easy dinner ideas

logical-cents, Oct 2, 5:36am
I need some help being a bit more imaginative with dinner, I am currently looking on the net for ideas but would like some tried and tested ideas as well. Dinners for 3 adults, two are males and can eat quite a bit.

Most weeks our meals consist of - couple meals of sausages and veges, some form of chicken (usually burritos, foldovers or enchiladas from the Old El Paso range, schnitzel), couple of meals with mince (either chilli con carn, nachos, lasagne, cottage pie, tacos or bolognese), we try to have a roast weekly though that depends on prices. Sometimes will do home made pizzas as well. Have also done marinated chicken nibbles and kebabs before.

Cannot include onions or mayo, and one guy doesn't like stir fries but we all like pasta/rice. Would especially like ideas with mince as I get bored of it done the same ways very quickly.

TIA

akd100, Oct 2, 5:39am
Quiche, Bacon and egg pie, spaghetti bolognese,

lyl_guy, Oct 2, 5:45am
My family likes a basic tuna casserole. The dearest ingredient is the eggs, but we get ours free at home, lol.
Cook a whole bag of pasta (large or small shells are best IMO).Drain and put into large, shallowish cass. dish, lined with baking paper, or greased.
Use a fork to place 2 cans of chopped tomatoes (drained), spread evenly over top of pasta.
Flake a large can of Tuna (in springwater, drained) evenly over the tomatoes.
Beat 4 - 6 eggs with milk (I use 1/2 cup if using 4 eggs, or 3/4c with 6 eggs) together till frothy. Season with salt/pepper.
Pour egg/milk mix evenly over the tuna/pasta.Sprinkle with cheese.
Bake at about 160 - 180 deg (my oven is HOT so it's 160) for about 35 - 45 mins.
The egg mix sets, and top goes lovely brown with melted cheese.My family love it, and is very cheap and filling.

rchelley, Oct 2, 6:12am
We use this one all the time - Super Spaghetti Sauce (Alison Holst)

2 medium onions
2 cloves of garlic
500g of mince
1 large carrot - grated
1 x 400g diced tomatoes (flavoured are fine)
1/2 c tomato paste (or tomato sauce, pizza sauce whatever you have)
1 50g tomato and onion soup mix
1 cup hot water
3 tsp beef stock powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp dried oregano (or italian herbs)
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp paprika

I add in heaps of extra veges as well as the ones in the recipe - grated pumpkin, kumara, brocolli,silverbeet, capsicums absolutely anything at all. Its actually really nice served on egg noodles with grated cheese, chilli sauce, sour cream, chopped lettuce, tomato, onion etc much like nachoes.

Mix it all up in the crockpot bowl and cook on low for 6-8 hrs

nicole.t, Oct 2, 6:23am
Meatloaf - I make mine with a tube of sausagemeat, 500gm mince then I add 1 egg to bind and a pkt of brown onion gravy mix with 100mls of hot water.On the top I either put breadcrumbs and or grated cheese.This makes a good amount.I serve it with mashed potatoes, veges and gravy.

nicole.t, Oct 2, 6:24am
If the person does not like brown onion gravy swap for any other flavour.

pkv, Oct 2, 6:29am
Curry of any sort

stapco, Oct 2, 6:41am
I live by destitute gourmets stunning food from small change book.Feeding 2 pre adolescent boys and 2 adultsour shopping is usually around $150 - 200 pw mainly $150 though - $200 maybe every 5 odd weeks.and no, we don't go hungrey.It covers all dinners, breakfasts, children + 1adult for lunches (other adult has subsidised lunches for $2.50 per day).

Have a look if you can get hold of one!

logical-cents, Oct 2, 7:54am
Tuna casserole sounds yum! As for spaghetti sauce/bolognese we have done that so many times that we are sick of it at the moment and I won't eat it any more. I've often thought of making a meat loaf but one guy won't eat it. The pies/quiche sound good too.

That book sounds interesting stapco, might see if library's got it. We have a max limit of $200 a week for grocerys which usually includes $15-$20 to feed the cats.

akd100, Oct 2, 8:05am
Chicken or beef pot pie.

angela137, Oct 2, 8:31am
Lentil soup - by itself or made a bit thicker and drizzeled over rice/pasta topped with quartred boiled eggs or large tablespoon of tinned tuna or bacon fried up and fresh corriander or cheese or whatever toppings you like- lentils are great $2 - $3 a bag and it'll last you ages!

Block of tofu fried up with mince and sachet of marble tofu sauce - YUmyum cheap as and feeds an army easy.

Both dishes can be made quickly and left overs are even better as flavours intesify - so frezzing and using again latterin the week also saves time.

Smoked fish or tinned tuna done in a very thick white sauce and then served on to toast sprinkle with cheese and "roll up " - (more like you just bend the sides of the bread up and toast off (grill) in the oven- YUMO!

paora-tm, Oct 2, 8:49am
Frittata - lotsa ideas can be found with a google search.

akd100, Oct 3, 5:39am
Quiche, Bacon and egg pie, spaghetti bolognese, fish pie, savoury mince with noodles or rice, macaroni cheese.