Pavlova Breaking Advice Please!

angela120, Oct 1, 8:48pm
I have made a pavlova it was pretty good looking when I took out of oven but now that it has cooled it has sunk a bit (not alot) but all the edges have broken.Does anyone have advice on how to avoid this happening!

pickles7, Oct 1, 9:14pm
Sometimes they do that.without knowing the recipe , cooking time, temperature, I would guess, the oven was a tad too hot. Stick it together with cream.

pickles7, Oct 2, 12:29am
pavlova.large

Beat until thick and smooth .approx 15 mins
6 egg whites,
3 Cups Icing Sugar,
2 teaspoons Cornflour,
2 teaspoons White Vinegar,
add 2 Tablespoons Boiling water.,
Pile onto a baking Paper lined oven tray
Cook for 5 minutes at 200 degrees C, then turn down and cook a further
1 1/2 hours at 100 degrees C.
(Leave in oven to cool)
5 minutes is a bit long @ 200%C, the pav will colour up a bit, I don't mide that, myself.

kinna54, Oct 2, 1:34am
cool it in the oven!Do not remove for at least a few hours, I sometimes leave them overnight. Sometimes it happens anyway, due to the crispness of the shell.
Also use baking paper to place it on, and still grease or spray the paper for easier removal
My recipe for extra crisp is posted in other threads, as is my soft centre pav. You can alter the quantities to make larger, but that is often the problem, I have always preferred to make 2 smaller (20cm) rather than a huge one.
Have made more pavs than I ever care to remember, both my mum and I were reknown for our home made pavs and sponges in our catering days, it was what gave us the edge on our business.

hoffy10, Oct 6, 5:49am
Would like some of your Fail Proof Sponge Recipes please. Thanks

kinna54, Oct 6, 7:50am
Can't go past the old Feilders'. Used by both my mum and myself. Here you go: and the secret once again is in the beating. and the lining of the tin.

Classic “Fielders” Sponge Cake

3 eggs
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup Fielders maize cornflour
1 dsp flour
1 tsp baking powder

Separate eggs.
Beat the egg whites with salt until stiff.
Add sugar gradually whilst continuing beating, and beat until stiff and sugar has dissolved.
Add egg yolks and beat in until blended.
Sift together cornflour, flour and baking powder and fold into mixture.
Pour the mixture into 220cm greased and lined sandwichtins. *(sides lined as well.)*
Bake at 190deg for 15-20mins.

When removing from the oven holdthe tins evenly at about calf height and drop them onto the floor.
(yes! This releases air and makes the sponge rise.)
When cold sandwich the 2sponge halves together with raspberry jam and cream or jelly and cream.
Dust the top with sifted icing sugar.

free-h-oldies, Oct 8, 7:10am
thanks for this recipe I have been wanting to make this for a while, an old Aunty used to make this and it never failed on her, I just hope it will be the same for me!

elliehen, Oct 8, 7:15am
Two recommendations I'd add to kinna54's recipe.

+ Use caster sugar
+ Have your oven temp at 180* - it's easy for the delicate top to burn