Bamboo steamer

mazzy1, Sep 30, 1:47am
If you have a 2 tier bamboo steamer with a lid on it, does it matter if the wok with the water in it is wider than the steamer!

mazzy1, Sep 30, 1:51am
Oh also - I had the choice of two sizes of steamer to buy, a 20cm one or a larger size, so I went with the smaller one. Now have slight attack of buyer's remorse - would I be better off with the larger one, if, say, I was wanting to cook two large pieces of salmon at the same time! Please let me know what you think before the shop closes!

cookessentials, Sep 30, 2:27am
1. No
2.I would go with the larger one. I am sure they will exchange it for you.

mazzy1, Sep 30, 2:57am
I'm on my way! Thanks cooks

mazzy1, Sep 30, 2:58am
Also - do you always have to use a rack in the bottom of the wok to elevate the steamer!

cool_sta, Sep 30, 3:14am
i would think you would have to raise it! otherwise you would just be boiling whatevers in the steamer. i could be wrong.

fifie, Sep 30, 3:50am
The steamer width will be wider than the bottom of the wok, put water in bottom of woknow sit steamer in on top, water should be about a 1nch below the steamer and steamer will sit in snug without touching water almost at top of wok depending how big it is, so no need to put a rack in.

antoniab, Sep 30, 4:23am
I put my bamboo steamer ontop of a pot - it fits perfectly!

mazzy1, Sep 30, 5:20am
Thanks for all the advice - much appreciated. I now have a large steamer that will sit inside my larger wok, so will use a rack if I need to, but I will experiment. I have a couple of gorgeous salmon fillets, some fresh ginger and bok choy, and found a recipe for steaming these for 15 minutes with a gorgeous dipping sauce. I can't wait to try it tomorrow.

mazzy1, Oct 1, 9:54am
OMG - the best salmon ever! I will only ever cook my salmon this way again. I can just feel that Omega 3 coursing through my veins LOL. Beautiful, fresh, flavourful - not sure about the bok choy but the rest of it was amazingly successful.

hestia, Oct 2, 9:18am
No need to steam fish with bok choy or any other vegetables. With Cantonese steamed fish, the fish is the star (although it does have a sprinkling of spring onions). Cook the vegetables as a separate side dish.