Tried and true Coconut ice recipe please.

cookiebarrel, Sep 26, 12:13pm
have tried the Edmonds one and it just isn't what I am after.Has anyone got one that is really good and like you get at school fairs or cake stalls.

tamarillojohn, Sep 26, 12:17pm
im sure i have one from my mums cook book, used to be my dad fav, well and i used to scoff lots of it too lol .hang on a mo ill hunt it out

tamarillojohn, Sep 26, 12:22pm
ok, must be in a box somewhere, will try to remember for tomorrow

pam.delilah, Sep 26, 7:24pm
Coconut Ice COOOKED

Ingredients

100 g butter
1 cup milk
6 cups Icing Sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup desiccated coconut
2 teaspoons coconut essence

Method

Place the butter, milk, icing sugar and salt in a medium- sized saucepan and heat gently until the sugar dissolves. Bring the mixture to the boil and keep the heat sufficient to just maintain the boil, stirring only occasionally, until the mixture reaches soft-ball stage (120°C). Add the coconut and coconut essence and remove from the heat. Cool for 5 – 10 minutes, then beat until the mixture thickens. Pour into a greased tin approximately 20 x 20 cm. Allow to cool and cut into squares.

Note: For pink coconut ice add a drop of red food colouring with the coconut. For the traditional two-tone effect make a batch of white and then a batch of pink, pouring the pink on top of the set white.Makes: 25 – 30 pieces
Special thanks to Jo Seagar for the use of this Best Ever recipe

greerg, Sep 26, 7:52pm
I have used this recipe of my mother's for many batches of school-fair coconut ice with 100 percent sucess rate.
¾ cup coconut, 80 grms butter, 3 cups sugar, ¾ cup milk, few drops of cochineal for pink, pinch salt
Put all ingredients except food colouring into a saucepan, mix and boil for approximately 10-12 minutes stirring occasionally.When mixture reaches the soft ball stage, remove from the heat, add food colouring if making pink and beat until thick.Pour into a greased tin (20 cm by 20 cm) and mark into squares straightaway.Sets very quickly.To make the double layered sweet make a thin layer of the first colour.Allow to set then pour over a thin layer of the second.

cookiebarrel, Sep 30, 6:51am
Thanks heaps for those.Will have a try out day tomorrow and then No 1 son can choose the one he likes the best or is like he remembers.