Sponge roll

jennyfenny1, Sep 26, 9:24am
made the edmonds one today, spread with raspberry jam, and. it was OK. but looked really yellow and smelled kinda eggy.! i used eggs from our chooks and they do have quite yellow yolks but i didnt expect it to make suchdifference to a sponge. it also didnt rise as much as i would have thought it would. is there anything i could be doing wrong!

elliehen, Sep 26, 10:29am
Eggy farm eggs aside.on the height question, did you fold the cornflour in gently after all the beating!The idea is to aerate the mix and you can't be rough mixing in the dry ingredients.

jennyfenny1, Sep 26, 10:49am
the edmonds recipe just uses plain flour, not cornflour - would that be better!and yeah i did fold it very gently, maybe i didnt beat the eggs thick enough!

elliehen, Sep 26, 10:55am
Plain flour is too heavy.I'll post my never-Fail one.

jennyfenny1, Sep 26, 10:57am
ooooh yes please! i would be so grateful!
the man loves sponge roll and i feel like such a failure not being able to make it like his mum and grandma did haha

elliehen, Sep 26, 11:02am
This Never-Fail Sponge recipe came from the Foodie pages of The Christchurch Press and is almost identical to the old Fielder's Sponge

Assemble all ingredients
Have eggs at room temperature
Sift 1/2 cup cornflour
2 teaspoons ordinary flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Line sponge roll pan with baking paper
Separate 3 eggs
Beat whites till soft peaks
Slowly add 1/2 cup caster sugar beating all the time
Add yolks and beat till rich mix

Add sifted dry ingredients (stir in gently)
Pour into pan and drop sharply on the bench to release extra bubbles
Bake 180* for 15 minutes
Drop pan again on removing from oven
Sit for 5 to 10 minutes before removing
Put onto clean teatowel and peel off baking paper
Roll up in tea-towel from the short end

When cool fill with jam (or fruit) and whipped cream
Dust with sifted icing sugar

Can be made in two sponge sandwich tins, or cut in half (from sponge roll tin) with one half placed on top of the other

jennyfenny1, Sep 26, 8:03pm
Thankyou elliehen!