Chicken,beef, bread.

yorkie13, Sep 24, 10:33pm
our freezer crapped out yesterday and the meat had de-frosted. we caught it in time, the meat is still good. will it be ok to make up meals with the meat and then re-freeze them!. I hope so. many thanks.

yorkie13, Sep 24, 11:15pm
somebody, pleeeese.

holly-rocks, Sep 24, 11:18pm
The same thing happened to us twice! A freezer FULL of homekill! You have to cook the meat first then its fine to refreeze. Hope you have insurance.

yorkie13, Sep 24, 11:35pm
cheers Holly-rocks. can i refreeze the bread as well!.

speedy_11, Sep 24, 11:48pm
take photos of the freezer and contents first for insurance.

Bread should be fine re-frozen, but probably more suited for toast than sandwiches.

I wouldnt refreeze the cooked chicken. but then I am uber fussy about chicken

Beef cooked is fine refrozen.

yorkie13, Sep 24, 11:52pm
Thanks people. will take the photos.

kinna54, Sep 25, 1:28am
Would actually think twice re the bread. The yeast agent in bread could causebug problems. Everything else if cooked and re-frozen will be ok.
If you are cooking the chicken from thawed out raw it is absolutely fine to be frozen, but if the chicken was pre cooked and frozen then I wouldn't re-cook it in anything else and freeze, that's a real no!

herself, Sep 25, 9:26am
I think the bread will be fine if you refreeze it.I googled the question and found 100% of the results (Universities and Health Departments in the USA) all said it would be fine but perhaps the quality of the bread would be compromised in that the bread may be a little tougher or more stale due to the refreezing.They suggested dampening and reheating to overcome this problem when using the bread.

jezabell, Sep 25, 9:35am
make up lots of meals and refreeze.
I make up extra meals most nights then when I can not be knackered I decide what I will have from the meals frozen. Hubby also takes them to work and heats them for his dinner when he is not coming home.
I have piles of them usually. so convenient.
How much meat are you talking!

jezabell, Sep 25, 9:36am
the bread you could make heaps of mouse traps and semi cook then freeze as well.

buzzy110, Sep 26, 3:03am
I refreeze bread all the time. My DH takes it out of the freezer and leaves it out. I just throw it back in. I'm still here and so is he. Yeast and its 'agents' are totally destroyed by heat and the high temperatures used in bread cooking ensure a 100% kill rate so no real problems there. I've even eaten mouldy bread with not ill effects.