Help please, making my daughters 1st birthday cake

chez1, Sep 23, 4:18am
I've done something wrong and its stuck to the pan, its a number one with a groove so dont think I can line it with baking paper, turned it out and some of it had stuck to the tin, its a major fail, will have to try again, but need to make sure it works, I cant turn it upside down cause its a number 1 round the wrong way now, I'm so gutted, have to try again soon, birthday party is tomorrow, should have just brought one :-(

hawki1, Sep 23, 4:22am
Did you spray it with oil, or grease it with butter before adding the mixture!I like butter, just use some soft butter and the paper from the butter and rub all over the pan, take care not to miss anywhere and at least 1/2 way up the sides. Don't loose heart, your daughter willknow you baked it, just for her.

lx4000, Sep 23, 4:27am
I never use shaped tins. I always made a cake in roasting dish then cut out the shape or number using a bit of paper as a stencil! Maybe this might help you some:)

Let us know how you get on!

Ohhh and pics a must!

chez1, Sep 23, 4:30am
Yea sprayed it, real well too, I have to fix this I will be the butt of all the cooking baking jokes the rest of my life with both families if I dont ;-)

lx4000, Sep 23, 4:34am
what type of cake is it!

chez1, Sep 23, 4:35am
Chocolate

chez1, Sep 23, 4:45am
Its a good cake I practised a couple of weeks ago, but hired this tin, I'm so frustrated, gotta get my girl fed and to bed then try again, still waiting for her Daddy to get home otherwise Id be doing it whilethe oven is still hot

bekspaul, Sep 23, 8:07am
i did a #2 cake once and i lined in with baking paper. i used pegs to hold it in place and cut do groves etc, filled it with batter and then removed pegs before baking.i now do as another poster said and bake one large cake and cut to shape.good luck you will be fine

greerg, Sep 23, 8:39am
And one is an easy shape to cut so you wont need to bother with a stencil. Just remember to give it a crumb coat on the cut surfaces before you ice it so you don't end up with crumby icing - I'm sure you don't need that as well.I had a disaster with my twin's third birthday turtle cake -made another and put it in freezer to cool but husband knocked it into the bottom and it broke.Did get one made in time but it was pretty rough but the boys thought it was amazing so all was well.They're not fussy at that age so don't worry about the rellies, just enjoy your littleone's first birthday.