Rainbow Cake - can anyone help with recipe!

mrcat1, Sep 16, 9:56am
I just saw a great rainbow layered cake on face book and wondered if anyone can tell me which cake recipe would be the best to add food colouring too! It looked like she had layered it together with some sort of frosting. Please help as need ideas for next week as daughter turning six.Thanks

dollmakernz, Sep 16, 11:14am
If you google Neapolitan cake, you'll find heaps of recipes. Good Luck

juliewn, Sep 16, 12:35pm
A sponge recipe, or something like the coconut layer cake recipe in the Edmonds book would work well - I've used the coconut layer cake as a great foundation for birthday cakes for over 29 years now, since my Son's first birthday. it's slightly moist, can be made the day before needed, has great flavour and enough firmness to make it excellent for creating birthday cakes.

To make the layers - you can use either of two ways - either cook one large deep cake - 2 or 3 times the recipe cooked in a large deep tin - same oven temp, check at the time the recipe suggests for one x the recipe, then every 10 minutes after that, testing with a skewer or knife, and then at closer intervals when the skewer is almost coming clean from the cake. For a single recipe, bake it in a smaller deepish tin).

Once the mix is ready to place in the tins, separate it into three. and add a few drops (or as much as you want) of red colour to one bowl.
Mix some cocoa with a spoonful of water, then add that to one of the bowls.
Either leave the third amount as it is, or colour to another colour.

Place spoonfuls of the mix where-ever you want in the tin, so the colours will overlap. Bake as per the recipe or as above.

Alternatively, you can make the recipe (or 2-3 times the recipe) and once colour/flavour is added, bake the different colours in each of three (or more) separate tins. Layer as you want with icing, whipped cream, jam, ganache, etc.

Happy Birthday to your Miss about to be 6. and don't forget to take photos of your cake before it's cut.

malcovy, Sep 17, 3:37am
I highly recommend a few drops of raspberry ess with the red food colouring and a few drops of vanilla ess in the plain one as the taste is lovely.

mrcat1, Sep 17, 5:20am
Hi everyone, thanks for your great tips, I have found a cake I really like on facebook - cathryn macpherson, so i think I will give it a go with a fluffy white frosting I found on allrecipes.com too.

luvmykicks, Sep 17, 5:24am
I know the cake you are talking about, my friend has also made an amazing one with around 8 layers of vibrant colours. I'm unsure how she did it though! good luck!

maggiemay33, Sep 17, 5:57am
A basic cake mix. Depends how many colours you want in the cake. Divide the cake mix into paper cups. Add a few drops of different food colouring to each cup, mix so food colouring is mixed in throughly. Add each mixture one at a time. So add one colour in cake tin, spread evenly, then add next colour, spread evenly etc,,

macac, Sep 17, 8:25am
Look at this blog, she has made a fanastic rainbow cake. I looove the way she has done the roses on top. Hope she does blog about how she did it soon.
http://www.mrscake.co.nz/

elliehen, Sep 17, 12:46pm
She has written quite a bit about her method.If you want more, why not use the 'contact' on her website!Rosa is very approachable and is always willing to share her ideas.

maggiemay33, Sep 18, 5:57am
A basic cake mix. Depends how many colours you want in the cake. Divide the cake mix into paper cups. Add a few drops of different food colouring to each cup, mix so food colouring is mixed in throughly. Add each mixture one at a time. So add one colour in cake tin, spread evenly, then add next colour, spread evenly etc,,Should say make up the cake mix first before adding colouring lol.

venom4, Sep 19, 1:43am
I made the layered rainbow cake for DDs 5th bday this year.I just used a vanilla cake receipe, split the mixture into 7 bowls and coloured them using gel colours (very vibrant) and put buttercream between each layer.

chatsmom, Sep 19, 3:02am
There's also a version, easier than Mrs Cake's, in the Real magazine.

splitty, Sep 19, 4:22am
Cath is my friend, she used custard buttercream icing with a basic vanilla cake from memory, When you make it, use gel colours cause if you use liquid ones from the supermarket you will have to use the whole bottle to get the depth of colour. Go to thecakeshop.co.nz and go to their colourings they have an 8 pk of gel colours for about $15. Good to get a range of colours for a cheaper price. Hope that helped.
For those who don't know it is a layered cake with 6 different colours all baked seperately and frosted in between each layer

sue1955, Sep 19, 4:50am
Can you recall which edition please!

venom4, Sep 20, 1:43am
I made the layered rainbow cake for DDs 5th bday this year.I just used a vanilla cake receipe, split the mixture into 6 bowls and coloured them using gel colours (very vibrant) and put buttercream between each layer.