Shredded Chicken, hmmm what to make 4 tea

kellybme, Sep 14, 10:40pm
I just picked up a couple of roasted chickens from the supermarket, which i have shredded, now to decide what to make for the family for tea, any suggestions

chatsmom, Sep 14, 11:06pm
Chicken pie, chicken chow mein, thai chicken salad

coniproducts, Sep 14, 11:22pm
Creamy Curried Chicken.take 3 cups milk, 1 cup cream and blend with 2 pkts Maggi Mushroom soup mix over a low heat until thickened.Add 3 cups cold cooked chicken and 1 - 2 tsp curry powder.Heat thoroughly and serve on rice.Easy as.

asue, Sep 14, 11:45pm
I did that last nite.Just mixed the shredded chicken with a gravy mix and put in pastry shell with pom poms on top.Everyone thought it was great!

tammiraven, Sep 15, 12:04am
a sandwich!

vintagekitty, Sep 15, 12:16am
what are pom poms!, the only pom pom I know of are the knitted type

kellybme, Sep 15, 12:42am
Pom poms are potatoe balls in the freezer section of supermarket, i always use them instead of pasrty on top.

245sam, Sep 15, 2:14am
vintagekitty, those pom poms are a Wattie's product that has been available for many years now.Have a look at:-

http://www.watties.co.nz/Our-Products/Frozen-Foods/Frozen-Potatoes/Specialties/Wattie-s-Famous-Potato-Pom-Poms

245sam, Sep 15, 2:35am
kellybme, here's something you might like to try with the chicken you have.
CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE CRUMBLE
This is an easy, can be prepared ahead, almost all-in-one meal and a good way of using up leftover cooked chicken.

2 cups (360g) chopped cooked chicken
500g frozen mixed vegetables
1 x 440g can condensed cream of asparagus soup (or other soup of choice)
2/3 cup stale breadcrumbs
½ cup grated tasty cheese
3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley

Thaw the frozen vegetables and drain them to remove as much excess liquid as possible.
Combine the chicken, vegetables and soup in an 8 cup capacity ovenproof dish.
Mix the breadcrumbs, cheese and parsley in a bowl, then sprinkle the mixture over the chicken and vegetables.
Bake at 180ºC for about 40 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned and the crumble is heated through.
Note: Because I was usually only needing to feed 3 people I served the Crumble as is without any extra veg. etc, but to provide more servings, serve it with additional vegetables, salad, potatoes or fresh bread.

There is plenty of scope for variation on the above basic recipe - add e.g. sauteed onions or leeks, sauteed mushrooms, bacon. and, of course, vary the soup flavour according to personal preference and what is available - the original recipe used cream of asparagus soup but I'm not sure that it is available now so I suggest cream of mushroom as a good alternative and for those who don't like/can't have mushroom, maybe cream of chicken would be the next best option.:-))

vintagekitty, Sep 15, 2:38am
lol, I never knew!. Im going to get some next shopping.

Are they by the hash browns!

245sam, Sep 15, 2:43am
I haven't bought any of those potato products for quite a while but yes, all such Wattie's products (pom poms, hash browns, medallions, etc.) can usually be found in the same area of the supermarket freezers.:-))

elliehen, Sep 15, 12:04pm
That's looking for trouble, VK.they come in a packet!