Lemon Meringue

bev00, Aug 22, 11:18am
Lemon Meringue Pie
1 pie base
1 can highlander condensed milk
1/2 c lemon juice
2 eggs seperated
1/2 c sugar

mix milk, juice and yolks - pour into cooked base. beat whites with sugar thick meringue - pour on top then pop in the oven for about 30 mins or until browned 180deg

bonsai-bento, Sep 12, 5:34am
Does anyone know where I can buy lemon meringue in Wellington! My partner loves it and as much as I love baking it looks too complicated for me to whip up. Thanks :)

shellz213, Sep 12, 6:39am
I'm pretty sure the Cheesecake Shop do a lemon meringue pie . haven't tried it though.

gardie, Sep 12, 6:44am
Make a bisuit base - crushed bikkies with some melted butter and press into loose bottomed tin (or foiled line pie plate if no loose bottom).Mix together 1 can condensed milk, 1/2 cup lemon juice and grated rind of lemons and 2 egg yolks. stir together - will thicken them pour onto base.Beat egg whites till thick slowly adding in about 1/2 cup sugar.Pile on pile and pop in the over at 180 for about 25 mins (turn on grill to brown top if necessary).Leave until cold before removing from tin.My favourite lemon meringue pie.

jessie981, Sep 12, 6:44am
That made my mouth water!

fee1965, Sep 12, 6:56am
cheesecake shop one is not great, the lemon part is very very sweet and tastes like it has condensed milk in it.It should be tart and like lemon jam tarts tastes.Edmonds cookbook has a great recipe, just buy a pie shell or mini ones and have a go, it's not that hard.

bonsai-bento, Sep 12, 9:36am
Oh wow thank you that doesn't sound too hard. I might give it a go after all. Thank you so much.
Hmm I'm not sure where a Cheesecake Shop is here anyway. I used to see them everywhere when I lived in Oz but haven't seen any in NZ for years.

kuaka, Sep 12, 10:06am
Lemon meringue pie isn't difficult at all.Pastry base - bake blind.Then make the lemon part:

3 egg yolks
1 cup water
juice and rind of 2 lemons
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons cornlour

Place the above ingredients into the top of a double boiler, or a pyrex dish over a saucepan containing water.Stir until heated through and thickened.Cook for a further 2 or 3 minutes.Allow to cool then spoon onto the pastry.

To make the meringue:Beat the three egg whites until stiff then add 4 tablespoons castor sugar a little at a time and then add 1/2 tsp vanilla essence.Spread meringue over the lemon mix making sure there are no gaps with the lemon mix showing.Bake for 10 to 15 minutes at 200 degC to brown meringue.Yummy.

shellz213, Sep 13, 6:39am
I'm pretty sure the Cheesecake Shop do a lemon meringue pie . haven't tried it though.

fee1965, Sep 13, 6:56am
cheesecake shop one is not great, the lemon part is very very sweet and tastes like it has condensed milk in it.It should be tart and like lemon jam tarts tastes.Edmonds cookbook has a great recipe, just buy a pie shell or mini ones and have a go, it's not that hard.

kuaka, Sep 13, 10:06am
Lemon meringue pie isn't difficult at all.Pastry base - bake blind.Then make the lemon part:

3 egg yolks
1 cup water
juice and rind of 2 lemons
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons cornlour

Place the above ingredients into the top of a double boiler, or a pyrex dish over a saucepan containing water.Stir until heated through and thickened.Cook for a further 2 or 3 minutes.Allow to cool then spoon onto the pastry.

To make the meringue:Beat the three egg whites until stiff then add 4 tablespoons castor sugar a little at a time and then add 1/2 tsp vanilla essence.Spread meringue over the lemon mix making sure there are no gaps with the lemon mix showing.Bake for 10 to 15 minutes at 200 degC to brown meringue.Yummy.