Chicken in crockpot problem - would you eat it

mumto3, Sep 12, 3:34am
I forgot to put the chicken in the crockpot this morning so I came home at 12.30 and did it.I flicked it onto high so it would be ready by 6ish.Just got home and I had actually turned it to warm grrrrrrrrrr.

Now I have a warm raw chicken.Would you continue to cook it fully and eat it or would having had it sit raw in a warm crockpot for 3 hours be too dangerous to eat without risking getting sick

lx4000, Sep 12, 3:38am
I would throw, but not sure on what temp your warm is. I'm also vegie, so let the meat eaters guide you better.

buzzy110, Sep 12, 4:04am
I assume you had it in the fridge until 12:30. This means your chicken has been on warm for 3hrs. No biggie. I wouldn't chuck it but I wouldn't recommend continuing to cook it in the crock pot either (and not just because I loath what crock pots do to food).

I'd get a nice lemon, cut it into slices, salt them and stuff them between the chicken flesh and the skin (breast and thigh part - don't bother about the back). Put leftover slices in the cavity with a bit more salt. Slice up an onion into thick rings and put in the bottom on a pot. Put the chicken on top and put in about 1½ cups of water. Put onto the stove, bring to the boil (a full rolling boil), turn down and simmer for another hour. Check it for doneness and serve or continue cooking until it is done.

At the ½ to 3/4 hr mark think about putting in some vegetables - potatoes, baby onions, leeks, etc in the stock. At the 10 minute mark put in cauliflower and cabbage wedges on top of the chicken to steam.

When you chook is done, melt a knob of butter in your sauce pot, add mushrooms and brown. Add a bit more butter, turn down the heat, add a tblspn of flour and stir it into the butter and add the stock from your chicken to make a lovely sauce.

Serve.

Or something similar just make sure your boil or roast the chicken till it is properly cooked and using a reasonable amount of heat to start off with.

nfh1, Sep 12, 4:10am
I would definitely not eat it - but then I am a wimp about getting food poisoning.

toadfish, Sep 12, 5:23am
I have the old sunbeam crockpot and my understanding was when I put it on Low that it gave it a blast to start with and then went to low. in which case it would be fine (if it was in the fridge till 12) just not cooked for tea tonight.If it was me I would have an alternative tonight. wait till it finished cooking, cool it and pop it in the fridge till tommorrow.

pickles7, Sep 12, 5:41am
You are not a wimp, at all. Chicken is in the top group, for food poisoning.
I would not eat it . 40+ years in the foods industry, not one food poisoning case, that wasbecause I used to say "if in doubt, chuck it out ! ".
Some folk can eat anything and not have a problem, someone else, will just, die.

lx4000, Sep 13, 3:38am
I would throw, but not sure on what temp your warm is. I'm also vegie, so let the meat eaters guide you better.

buzzy110, Sep 13, 4:04am
I assume you had it in the fridge until 12:30. This means your chicken has been on warm for 3hrs. No biggie. I wouldn't chuck it but I wouldn't recommend continuing to cook it in the crock pot either (and not just because I loath what crock pots do to food).

I'd get a nice lemon, cut it into slices, salt them and stuff them between the chicken flesh and the skin (breast and thigh part - don't bother about the back). Put leftover slices in the cavity with a bit more salt. Slice up an onion into thick rings and put in the bottom on a pot. Put the chicken on top and put in about 1½ cups of water. Put onto the stove, bring to the boil (a full rolling boil), turn down and simmer for another hour. Check it for doneness and serve or continue cooking until it is done.

At the ½ to 3/4 hr mark think about putting in some vegetables - potatoes, baby onions, leeks, etc in the stock. At the 10 minute from cooked mark put in cauliflower and cabbage wedges on top of the chicken to steam.

When you chook is done, melt a knob of butter in your sauce pot, add mushrooms and brown. Add a bit more butter, turn down the heat, add a tblspn of flour and stir it into the butter and add the stock from your chicken to make a lovely sauce.

Serve.

Or something similar just make sure you boil or roast the chicken till it is properly cooked and using a reasonable amount of heat to start off with.