Two questions

rainrain1, Mar 23, 4:23am
Where can I buy a really good old fashioned, non electric, hand held, lasts a lifetime, egg beater? ... and ... How do you get those capers out of that little narrow neck jar? :-)

diamondgirl06, Mar 23, 4:39am
1. This sort ? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/SearchResults. aspx? searchTyp
e=all&searchString=egg+beater&type=Search&genera
lSearch_keypresses=4&generalSearch_suggested=10

2. With a teeny tiny spoon or pour into a tea strainer

tiogapass, Mar 23, 4:40am
not sure about the beater but I have an answer for the capers... just pour them out. If you want to keep some and not use the whole jar tip them into a clean container and jsut take what you want. they should keep for a while in a sealed container in the fridge.

unknowndisorder, Mar 23, 4:41am
Question 1: not sure, but try cookwaressentials.co.nz (hope I got that right)
Question 2: I'm sure last week we spotted a caper strainer, but that might have been an olive one. What we do is use a teaspoon - either one that fits in there (we've got one) or the handle end.
I'm sure someone here will have some brilliant idea and be along shortly :)

rainrain1, Mar 23, 4:50am
But I don't want to pour them all out because you have to get what you don't use back in the jar again. The jars are stupid really don't you think? Guess I will have to find a long narrow teaspoon, what a bother :-)

rainrain1, Mar 23, 4:53am
That is not the sort no, that is not an eggbeater :-)

elliehen, Mar 23, 6:40am
An antique shop in Richmond, Nelson (probably against TM's terms to name it) has a box full of old classic 'Swiftwhip' eggbeaters for about $20. 00 each. I have over time bought one for each member of my extended family who covets mine!

valentino, Mar 23, 7:42am
Capers, if only a few try a small cake fork orusing a special Choc fondue spoon that is, a longish handle with a small scoop at the end... . .

The eggbeaters are around, cooksessentials.co.nz or the warehouse, Briscoes... .

crsdbl, Mar 23, 7:55am
i picked up my egg beater from the salvation army for about $1.
and you can get tiny wee tongs, would they work?

vintagekitty, Mar 23, 7:57am
capers, I just use a knife or small teaspoon to get them out

jessie981, Mar 23, 7:59am
Use the same type of utensil that's used for getting pickled onions out of a jar. Slim & has a v shape point on the end.

alebix, Mar 23, 8:49am
As for the egg beater, try K mart (saw one last week there) or briscoes or a kitchen ware store like Stevens.

duckmoon, Mar 23, 10:14am
capers: I have a spoon which is designed for it... I got it from a garage sale.

lulu239, Mar 23, 6:51pm
I think I may know what you mean regarding the egg beater. Is it the one that turns on what looks like ball bearings? I am from Hamilton and it took a trip to Kurow some years ago to get mine. They turn so smoothly. If that is the type, I think you may have to haunt junk shops.

rainrain1, Mar 23, 7:19pm
The eggbeaters from Warehouse, K Mart etc are totally useless. I have just ordered one online from Millys Kitchen. Cost me $75 approx, so here's hoping!

korbo, Mar 23, 8:54pm
gee whizz, i had 2 for auction a while back. will keep an eye out, as lots of garage sales and 2nd hand shops here have them... . . good luck.

greerg, Nov 30, 11:15am
I have sent my boys flatting with Swiftwhips bought on Trademe. My daughter has my mother's and I have had mine for 35 years. A real kiwi classic and indestructible. You may have to pay up to $20 - they are quite sought after.