Is the beef fillet

rainrain1, Aug 30, 5:26am
used for steak tartare!Has anyone tried it, if so can you explain the taste as It seems so gross.

lythande1, Aug 30, 8:08am
Yes, because it is the most tender. Nope, I don't eat raw meat - could ask my cat. But she actually prefers snitzel or horsemeat. Probably flavour - the tenderer it is, the less flavour.

otterhound, Aug 31, 12:14am
Saw on Masterchef the other day they used the trimmings from sirloin steak for steak tartare.Not my cup of tea either!

horseyokel98, Sep 1, 7:02am
I ate steak tartare in france. it is hard to describe the taste.it had a lot of seasoning and onion in it so it wasn't so much the taste of the meat.I eat fillet steak blue anyway, which is basically raw warmed up!if you can get your head around it the less cooked the steak the jucier and more tender it is.

rainrain1, Sep 1, 7:46am
Were you pretty well under the weather when you tried the tartare!I wouldn't want to taste it at all.We once had a guy who used to help us bag our freezer cattlebeasts and he wouldslice off a thin slither every so often and eat it from his boning knife.Makes my stomach turn just thinking about it, but each to their own I guess. At the same time I don't like my steak overdone, a bit of pink is OK

skippie1, Sep 1, 9:11am
Had Beef of Tartare while in Holland, love it, does not taste like raw meat, but more like a pate. Where can you buy it in NZ, would really like to know. Or is there a recipe around to make it myself, would be appreciated.

mrgts4, Sep 2, 7:29am
You wont be able to buy in the supermarket. I has to be minced just before being served or the bacteria will get in and make you sick. Never tried it but would like to if I saw it in a restaurant.

davidt4, Sep 2, 10:07pm
Here you are skippie1.This version mixes all of the flavourings into the beef.Other versions keep the capers, onion etc separate for the diner to mix in to taste.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/10983-classic-steak-tartare