Liquid food colourings v colouring pastes

seaspray1, Aug 29, 12:18am
I'm guessing the pastes are more concentrated than the liquids but do any of you clever cake bakers know how MUCH more concentrated!For example would you say the little pottle of paste is more or less a standard bottle of liquid colouring despite being a much smaller quantity!

cookessentials, Aug 29, 12:22am
The gel colourings are very concentrated. You usally add them using a tooth pickor better still, a metal skewer and adding and mixing until you get the desired colour. Liquid colours can also make your icing too wet and sometimes the colour is not the right hue you are wanting.

seaspray1, Aug 29, 12:33am
Thanks cookessentials.I googled and found that about half a teaspoon of gel/paste is the equivalent of 1.5 ounces.I'm thinking about making a red velvet cake (after a recent North American holiday) and could not bring myself to tip in the 2 ounces of liquid all the recipes seem to call for.It all kind of goes against the grain of taking out the additives and preservatives when you do your own baking but they do look amazing!

tebb, Aug 29, 1:18am
having just discovered gel colourings.i will never go back to liquid food colouring

seaspray1, Aug 29, 2:30am
Here's another question.If I use the paste instead of liquid, I'm guessing I will need to substitute extra liquid for the 2 ounces of food colouring I will not be adding.Would that be a correct assumption!

eastie3, Aug 29, 3:57am
Are these gels in the supermarkets!

chicco2, Aug 29, 6:20am
Gels are available on here. See this auction 401791443and cake decorating stores.
I have used the Chefmaster ones for years, but love the Americolor ones. Wont be buying chefmaster again.

shop-a-holic, Aug 29, 7:03am
+1
I've only used Chefmaster and Americolor.

cookessentials, Aug 29, 8:36am
Not that I am aware of. Wilton are the ones we use.