Another Marmalade. Taste nice but wont set.

therev1, Aug 26, 5:58am
Followed recipe to a t or so I thought,taste nice but just wont set. Used one packet of jamset but still no luck. A large amount so really would like to do something with it.Any ideas thanks heaps.

darlingmole, Aug 26, 6:21am
I've heard that you add the juice of a fresh lemon or else a tart green apple . you could try that!But if you add too much sugar it'll turn too hard and rubber like (did this to my guava jelly this year)

buzzy110, Aug 26, 7:06am
You probably didn't cook it at a high enough temperature. It has to be at a full rolling boil - to the point that the jam needs to be constantly stirred or it will overboil. I am always leery of bringing it to that level of heat, but until I do nothing sets. Having said that it is also important to not 'overheat it. So when it begins to rise up in the pot turn down the temp slightly so that you can control the process, but not so low that the rising discontinues.

auburn4, Aug 26, 11:47am
Had that problem with my orange jam yesterday, I reboiled it and this time it set. I think buzzy is right about notcooking at a high enough temperature, The second time I had it at a rolling boil instead of a simmer. Also try the Chelsea jam setting sugar.

fifie, Aug 26, 11:41pm
Sometimes large lots don't set as you can't get it to that rolling boil stage. Boil it up again in two lots and it should be fine.

autocars1, Aug 27, 7:26am
You probably didn't boil it hard enough, you have to get the water out of it so my old mum ways. or measure the right proportion of sugar.but there's a setting agent you can get at the supermarket.works a treat, takes a few days but goes off fine.

therev1, Aug 27, 12:15pm
Hi, thanks for the feedback, going to reboil as mentioned in 3&4 and see where one goes from there. Let you know. Many thanks.