Freezing Leftovers. tips and suggestions

tc47, Aug 26, 1:01am
Hi there, my partner and I waste so much food, and I really want to get in the habit of freezing our left overs. But, when I do freeze stuff, it often comes out unappealing. How come the makers of those frozen meals get theirs looking ok, while I get freezer burn!

lx4000, Aug 26, 1:33am
mince, stew I place in dishes then thaw then add the freshly mashed spud or what ever on top then well and truly heat to piping hot, or servewith what ever. If its pizza, I slightly under cook so it finishes off cooking when i re heat it.

lx4000, Aug 26, 1:35am
place gladwrap over so it touching the what ever then wrap and freeze.

tc47, Aug 26, 10:43pm
thanks, but I'm not cooking especially to freeze, jsut wanting to save leftovers for quick meals later. EG, I had frozen some spag bol, including pasta, but when I went to defrost it, the pasta was yuckie, and the top of the mince had freezer burn.

I know that I could suck the air out (if it was in a bag), but this stuff is in serving sized containers.

tc47, Aug 26, 10:44pm
Cool, I might try that :)

winnie231, Aug 27, 8:52pm
Freeze the elements like rice, pasta, sauce, curry, . separately where possible as it makes reheating easier & you can serve up a nice looking meal again.
Eg. spaghetti in one container & sauce in another. To reheat the pasta I don't defrost, I simply pour over boiling water & leave while I reheat the sauce.

pickles7, Aug 27, 9:35pm
It helps to use the left overs from your freezer, within one month.
I deliberately cook enough for two meals each, when I cook a roast. Dish them up, cover with cling wrap, heat and eat from the fridge, 2 or 3 nights later. They always taste great. I prefer to make a cottage pie with left over meat, before I freeze it, a bit extra work at the time , saves me preparing a whole meal later. Left over leafy veg, get used in stir fry, chow, etc.
I used to make Croquettes, in our restaurant, if I prepped too much. They can be frozen once made, free flow them.
Using left overs , that don't yell, they are left overs, is the trick.

tc47, Aug 27, 9:38pm
Thanks. we don't get around to eating them though, that's why I'm looking at freezing them.