'Smashed Potatoes'

gardie, Aug 24, 5:00am
A local'ish' restaurant serves these and they are delightful.Boiled potatoes, 'smashed' then quickly deepfried to reheat.

beebs, Aug 24, 8:37pm
are these just boiled, 'smashed' and then put under a grill or oven roasted for a bit.Ive eaten them while out, Im just not sure how they are done, how do you do yours!

datoofairy, Aug 24, 8:45pm
I have no idea if it the same thing or not, but a friend of mine does a similar dish.
She microwaves potatoes in their jackets til they are cooked through, lays them all out in a dish and smashs them.
The she adds garlic and herb butter to bread crumbs, throws in some grated cheese and mixes it all together.She then sprinkles the bread crumb mix over the smashed potatoes andgrills it all until the bread crumbs are crunchy and golden brown.
Its super yummy.

beebs, Aug 24, 8:54pm
sound yummy

a_n_h, Aug 24, 8:59pm
ohhh sounds good.

kirinesha, Aug 24, 9:03pm
I used to make these by baking them in their jackets, then smashing lightly with a pestle and pouring over hot olive oil and garlic which has been infused together. Salt and serve.

cookessentials, Aug 24, 9:43pm
You basically cook them in a saucepan with their skins on. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and let them simmer for about 20 mins. Drain well. Put potatoes into a frying pan, then with a masher or other heavy object,slightly "smash" or crush each potato, just until the skin splits and potato is slightly smashed. Drizzle them with olive oil. making sure they are coated all over add freshly ground salt and pepper. You can also add Rosemary and garlic cloves if you wish.
Place pan on medium heat and turn frequently to brown all over. I do this in a roasting dish in the oven also.

duckmoon, Aug 24, 11:11pm
I do "smashed" potatoes.
I boil the potatoes (unpeeled) and when cooked, lightly mash them with milk and butter.

they aren't as smooth as mashed potatoes, but it means we are eating the skins as well as the white bit

fisher, Aug 24, 11:34pm
Jersey Bennies are good. scrub, skin on and boil. then just "lightly" crush with a potato masher to break the skins and then add some knobs of rosemary herbed butter. pinches of salt and some white pepper over the top

suzanna, Aug 25, 1:13am
I love them for winter lunches but make them by slightly crushing to make a rough surface, butter (lots), herbs and 'cook' in one of the older style toastie machines. Must acknowledge that I think the original idea came from Richard Till. Too easy,delicious comfort food.

elliehen, Aug 25, 2:22am
Good idea!Thanks for passing it on.

jbsouthland, Aug 26, 1:51am
Tried that last night for dinner.worked a treat.thanks.not really a potato fan so was a nice change.

fisher, Aug 26, 6:54am
I made some last night.scrubbed up some agria spuds with skin on. cut into golf ball size pieces and boiled in salted water.Took a small roasting pan and layered baking paper over the bottom.
Drain all water and with lid on, shake pot to roughen up. add some small knobs of butter and gently crush spuds, simply to break up.not mash.pour this into your lined pan and add a sprinkle of salt, grind of black pepper and a little chicken stock powder over the top. (continental preferred)spray some oil over the top and place under the grill till nicely browning. stir this mix up, spray with oil again and add some Masterfoods Tuscan seasoning.when nicely browned serve immediately.
Leaving out the Tuscan seasoning, you could add grated cheese to the top with a sprinkle of smoked paprika.

waswoods, Aug 26, 8:05am
Potatoes boiled or microwaved until almost cooked. Put into roasting pan and "smash". Sprinkle with garlic salt and drizzle with olive oil. Put in a hot oven until completely cooked and crisped on the top

lil_angel_kel, Aug 26, 8:11am
YUM I am so going to try this! :)

rarogal, Aug 26, 9:26am
That's how I was taught to do mine also, only with butter AND oil, gives a more golden, crunchier texture.The toastie machine does a great job!

datoofairy, Aug 26, 9:41am
lol.this thread really had me scratching my head, as I was pretty certain I didnt post about this this week.It wasnt until I saw the dates on posts 8 and 9 that I worked out the first half of the thread is a year old!

elliehen, Aug 26, 9:48am
Yes. Two consecutive Wednesdays ;)

11:34 am, Wed 25 Aug #8&5:00 pm, Wed 24 Aug #9

That happened to me recently in another thread.

otterhound, Aug 26, 10:18pm
Isometimes get small potatoes, skin on, smash with a rolling pin just so they have a few cracks in them, then toss them well with oil and garlic granules, or tuscan seasoning, or chilli - whatever takes your fancy.Then put them in a roasting dish and cook in the oven until done.