Casserole fail

jennyfenny1, Aug 24, 3:43am
i made a casserole yesterday and even though i had it in the oven for two hours the meat was still tough. usually with exactly the same method (but maybe an hour more cooking if i have the time) the meat comes out so tender and "melt in your mouth". so i am wondering, does it really take alot more than just the two hours i gave it (ran out of time getting it in the oven, late afternoon)! or could it be the cut of meat i used is just of different quality! would it have been the oven being too hot (170ish)! and more importantly (lol) is there anything i can do to rectify the leftovers now! ie. would cooking it again for longer be a bad idea! TIA

wheelz, Aug 24, 3:56am
It can depend on the cut of meat. I think 170 might be too high. I cook mine for at least 5-6 hours on 140-150'c. Others here, who have crock-pots will have different times and temps.

lythande1, Aug 24, 4:18am
Needed a bit longer, and perhaps a bit more liquid!

davidt4, Aug 24, 4:36am
At least four hours, five is better, at 150C.Tough meat needs a long time at a low temperature to soften the connective tissue, which is what makes the meat luscious and juicy when it is cooked properly.A higher temperature just shrinks the meat fibres and dries it out.

To use up the leftovers you could mince the meat or chop it in a food processor, and make a cottage pie.

jennyfenny1, Aug 24, 6:20am
yeah so i am thinking it probably was too high temp. that will teach me for being in a hurry - good things take time and all that haha
thanks for all your ideas guys;davidt4 cottage pie is a brilliant idea for tonight, ta for that!

fee1965, Aug 24, 7:15am
Always good to brown the meat in batches first, adds flavour thru caramelisation plus also seals in the juices.Cheap cuts - like chuck, gravy beef can be cooked at around 150 - 170 for 2 - 4 hours without drying out.Cross cut blade or blade need long n slow also.I don;t use topside, feel it does not have enough flavour.You could put the meat under mashed spud or in a pie and re-cook.

kuaka, Aug 24, 8:51am
I would cook the cheaper cuts (that's a joke - there is no such thing as a "cheap" cut of meat these days!) like chuck steak or gravy beef for longer than I would cook cross cut blade or blade steak, but I normally use rump steak (as it's usually less fatty and often cheaper when on special) and cook it for about 2 hours on about 140 to 150.It is usually delicious.How tender the meat is also depends on whether you are cooking it in a whole piece or cut into pieces, and if it's cut into pieces it shouldn't take quite so long.

nzrose7, Aug 25, 8:22pm
I use skirt steak, 2 hours at 180. Onions, cubed meet, 1 tblespoon vinegar/red wine vinegar, soy sauce, HP sauce, salt & Pepper, water, stock etc [your choice].Cook one hour, add carrots, potatoes, beans, etc [your choice], after 2 hours, thicken with cornflour pastemade with a little water, stirred in, back in oven for 15 mins.

otterhound, Aug 26, 10:21pm
I made one in the crockpot last night with gravy beef - first time I've used that in years.Cooked it for about 6 hours and it just about fell apart on the fork.Was very good!