Frozen chook help please !

paddocks, Aug 23, 4:07am
Hi all, just came home and my lovely husband has put roast chicken and vege on, trouble is the chook was straight from the freezer, ( bless him lol )am I right in thinking thats not good, hope not because it smells great and I didnt have to cook for a change, thanks for your help :)

lx4000, Aug 23, 4:10am
you can cook from frozen. Had he taken out the bag from inside!

paddocks, Aug 23, 4:16am
Lol crikey had to check, phewwwwwww, didnt have one, thankgoodness, so its quite safe to eat !

nfh1, Aug 23, 4:22am
People say it is fine to do this as long as the internal temperature reaches a sufficient temperature to kill any bugs.I do not have a thermometer to check so I would not risk it.

paddocks, Aug 23, 4:28am
Thankyou for your help guys :)

imn, Aug 23, 4:41am
If as some say it is ok to cook a chook from frozen, WHY does it say on the wrapping not to! are they lying. I doubt it. I would never do that. too much risk. I just wonder why some think they know better than the chook people.

gardie, Aug 23, 7:09am
I would think that by the time the inside was cooked sufficiently, then the outside would be awfully dry.I have a friend that cooks everything from frozen - she is still alive.Hope you tried it at least.

pgta, Aug 23, 7:11am
Have often cooked chicken from frozen - no issues just make sure the liquid is clear when you stab the meatiest parts

darlingmole, Aug 23, 7:42am
gee LX4000~!It's been many a year since a chicken had a bag of giblets in it . or do some brands still do this!The only time I ever find a bag inside a bird is in my lovely Christmas turkey

kinna54, Aug 23, 8:49am
On a lighter note, an amusing story. My sister crossed the ditch looking for a better life and after a garage sale gave everything left to our Mum including all her bits and bobs from the pantry. My Mum was cooking a roast chicken one sunday and added what she thought was mixed herbs to the stuffing which ended up being Dried Mint. I have to say it was the strangest roast chicken we have ever had.

kuaka, Aug 23, 9:17am
and I recall once going to visit friends in Auckland and leaving my husband to cook a chicken casserole which I had prepared for him.When I arrived in Auckland I phoned to say I'd arrived and asked if he'd remembered to put the casserole in the oven, and to check that it wasn't getting to dry, and if it was to turn it down a wee bit and add some more water.Thought no more about it, till we got a phone call at 1 in the morning from St Johns to say they had just ambulanced my hubby off to hospital with food poisoning.Instead of turning the casserole down a wee bit, he'd turned the wrong knob and turned it off, so it wasn't cooked when he ate it.He survived, but it made me even more cautious about cooking chicken.Next time I suggested we have chicken casserole he told me I could shove it up my bum!

gennie, Aug 23, 9:27am
Kuaka - and that's a goodarguement for them to learn to cook for themselves!

I am fortunate to have a lovely new oven which can be set to come on at a certain time, temperature etc.I will often put a frozen chicken in in the morning in a roasting dish and set it to come on at about 4pm for an early dinner (young kids).It is timed to have just got to an unfrozen state and then the oven turns on to cook it.I know it says on the bag to defrost in the fridge but that seems to take about 3 days to do in ours - I don't plan that far ahead.

lythande1, Aug 23, 7:32pm
Really! I've had food poisoning. The regular sort that just lasts 24 hrs, and Campylobacter. Never would an ambulance come or a hospital admit me. You'd have to have a pretty nasty condition over several days for them to do that.

kuaka, Aug 23, 10:27pm
lythande - maybe an ambulance never came because you never called one!I can only tell it the way it happened.Husband called St Johns, they sent an ambulance out to visit him, arranged to have him transferred to hospital, which involved calling out the skipper of the Okiato-Opua ferry to take the ambulance over (as it was after the ferry had stopped running for the night) and he was admitted to hospital, and kept in overnight.I knew nothing about it until he was in the hospital.If I had been home we probably wouldn't have called St Johns, but being elderly and on his own at the time, and feeling so wretchedly ill, he thought it best to be safe rather than dead when I arrived home from my weekend away.

purplegoanna, Aug 23, 10:29pm
ive cooked them from frozen before no worries.as long as its all cooked before its eaten i really dont see the diiference.

soph001, Aug 28, 9:17am
Yeah I've done em from frozen before. The old "btw honey, my folks are coming over tonight for dinner" at 5pm from Mr Organisation. No worries!