First time roast chicken !

mattdylan, Aug 22, 9:30pm
I have never cooked a roast in my life and would like to try on the weekend, can someone please tell me a basic recipe - also are cooking in those bags better, the maggi cook in bags.!.
thanks!

jrad4, Aug 22, 9:42pm
Depends on the roast that you are cooking. If its chicken and you want a crispy skin best to bake with out bag if you are cooking beef then I always cook mine in a bag (keeps it moist) I allow 1hr per kilo of meat and 1 hour for my roast veges. I tried a maggi cook in the bag on Sunday and just put veges in it and they where nice. Good luck.

harrislucinda, Aug 22, 9:55pm
neverovercook aswilldryout,,testbyputtingascrewerinbreastnopinkliquidshouldcomeout

mattdylan, Aug 22, 9:56pm
ok thanks, do you rekon you need stuffing in the chicken ! I might try it without a bag but don't want to dry it out so will do the 1 hour per kilo thing :)

jrad4, Aug 22, 10:02pm
It doesn't really matter its just a personal choice if you want to stuff it or not, it does add a wee bit more flavour. I put a wee bit of salt on the top of my chicken and it just helps a bit to crispy it up. Enjoy

lythande1, Aug 23, 12:16am
I'd stuff it, it's yum. Don't have to though.
I roast chooks as is. No bags, no tying them up, no tucking in wings. Just roasted.
You can tell when it's done, poke a pointy thing into the meatiest bit of thigh, pink runs out, leave a bit longer.

When serving, chop the ends of the wings - there's no meat there anyway, and just leave the other 2 joints.

carolyn20, Aug 23, 12:41am
I rinse the chicken inside & out and pat dry with paper towels.Stuff the inside with a chopped up lemon.I usually tie the chicken up (look on you tube for instructions).Rub the skin with olive oil.Mix together 1tsp salt, couple crushed garlic and chopped rosemary then rub this all over the chicken.Cook the first 15 mins on it's side then next 15 on it's other side then turn it breast up for the last 45-60 mins.Cook your roast veg in the same tray if there's enough room makes them tasty.When the chook comes out the oven you could pour a little balsamic vinegar over. Cooking in the bag is still good and I guess easier but not as tasty as above.Good luck and now I think we'll have one this weekend also.