Pineapple

lythande1, Aug 18, 3:44am
Husband bought one, the label says the tops are sometimes used and replanted to grow new ones. Anyone done this! Any special treatment needed first! Would it actually grow in Auckland!

pickles7, Aug 18, 3:53am
I have , years ago. Now they are treated so they won't grow. darn it. The tops are now cut off, freight and space, costs were the killer.
I have one growing right now, this year I should get a fruit. I bought the plant off trade me. It is 75 cm tall and probably a metre and a half, across.
The Nurseries sometimes have them, order one now.

jessie981, Aug 18, 4:43am
Tried it years ago. Remember had to sit the top in sand then xfer to soil in a pot. Never came to fruition!

pickles7, Aug 18, 5:49am
What a shame, Mine, years ago was growing rampant, then it got frosted. . The one I have now is a " red pineapple", lethal spines on it, they used to be planted under windows. lol . would stop her from jumping out and would stop him from getting in.

jessie981, Aug 18, 6:06am
Hee Hee

pickles7, Aug 19, 3:53am
I have , years ago. Now they are treated so they won't grow. darn it. The tops are now cut off, freight and space, costs were the killer.
I have one growing right now, this year I should get a fruit. I bought the plant off trade me. It is 75 cm tall and probably a metre and a half, across.
The Nurseries sometimes have them, order one now.