Shortcrust pastry cases.

evebee, Aug 17, 5:50am
Has anyone used passionfruit pulp mixed with creme fraiche. I have used lemon curd and wondered about the passionfruit pulp as a different filling. Any help/suggestions welcomed. Thanks

indy95, Aug 17, 6:32am
Evebee, I think sweetened passionfruit pulp combined with creme fraiche would go well as a substitute for the lemon curd version.

bill241, Aug 17, 6:45am
Have you tried creme patissiere/pastry cream! Its amazing. Like thick egg custard that you flavour any way you want and its so gooey and creamy and delicious but still firm for inside tarts and flans. I could sit and eat a whole bowl of pastry cream if I was left unattended. I usually just flavour it with seeded vanilla extract but you could dollop some passionfruit pulp in once its cooked, in fact I think I'll try that next time I make it.

indy95, Aug 17, 6:55am
I agree, it's absolutely scrumptious !

badams1, Aug 17, 6:57am
bill241, could you post your favourite recipe please.the pastry cream. cheers

bill241, Aug 17, 8:48am
This is the recipe we use at cook school:

4 egg yolks
60g Caster sugar
10g plain flour
15g custard powder
250ml milk
1/4 tsp

Beat the yolks and sugar together then add the flour and custard powder and beat again until thick.

Scald the milk and add it slowly to the sweetened, starchy eggs, while whisking.
Return the mixture to a clean pot and gently bring to the boil over a medium heat. It will thicken quite suddenly so be careful and keep whisking it.
Add your vanilla at the end.

My version (which I think is better but I wouldn't presume to know better than actual chefs)

4 egg yolks
60g caster sugar
20g cornflour
3/4C milk
1/4 C cream
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (with seeds if you want)

And do the same thing but put the extract ( or a pod) in the milk and cream when you scald it. If you use a pod you'd obviously remove it before adding the milk to the eggs.
I think the cream makes it extra rich and I always like my custard made from cream so this is just what I do.

*You can put 100g of melted chocolate (couverture is suggested) in with the scalded milk for chocolate pastry cream.
* you can make a liqueur flavoured cream by changing out about 20-30ml of the milk for your choice of liqueur

bill241, Aug 17, 8:56am
And another classic one for pastry is frangipane, which as an almond type filling.

125g Caster sugar
125g butter
2 Eggs, beaten
30g plain flour
125g ground almonds

Cream the butter and caster sugar. Mix in the beaten eggs a bit at a time.Combine the two dry ingredients together and then add them to the wet ingredients and lightly mix.

badams1, Aug 18, 2:49am
bill 241 thankyou for being so gracious ,in shariing your recipes. deeply appreciated.

indy95, Aug 18, 3:47am
I prefer your version too, bill241 as I dislike the flavour of custard powderin anything and stopped using it a long time ago.

bill241, Aug 18, 4:18am
Yes, I have an aversion to using custard powder, it just feels wrong haha

bill241, Aug 18, 6:45am
Have you tried creme patissiere/pastry cream! Its amazing. Like thick egg custard that you flavour any way you want and its so gooey and creamy and delicious but still firm for inside tarts and flans. I could sit and eat a whole bowl of pastry cream if I was left unattended. I usually just flavour it with seeded vanilla extract but you could dollop some passionfruit pulp in once its cooked, in fact I think I'll try that next time I make it.

indy95, Aug 18, 6:55am
I agree, it's absolutely scrumptious !

bill241, Aug 18, 8:48am
This is the recipe we use at cook school:

4 egg yolks
60g Caster sugar
10g plain flour
15g custard powder
250ml milk
1/4 tsp

Beat the yolks and sugar together then add the flour and custard powder and beat again until thick.

Scald the milk and add it slowly to the sweetened, starchy eggs, while whisking.
Return the mixture to a clean pot and gently bring to the boil over a medium heat. It will thicken quite suddenly so be careful and keep whisking it.
Add your vanilla at the end.

My version (which I think is better but I wouldn't presume to know better than actual chefs)

4 egg yolks
60g caster sugar
20g cornflour
3/4C milk
1/4 C cream
1/4 tsp vanilla extract (with seeds if you want)

And do the same thing but put the extract ( or a pod) in the milk and cream when you scald it. If you use a pod you'd obviously remove it before adding the milk to the eggs.
I think the cream makes it extra rich and I always like my custard made from cream so this is just what I do.

*You can put 100g of melted chocolate (couverture is suggested) in with the scalded milk for chocolate pastry cream.
* you can make a liqueur flavoured cream by changing out about 20-30ml of the milk for your choice of liqueur