Homemade stock in the slow cooker

amsandlant, Aug 16, 10:33pm
Hopefully someone can answer this for me!I started making this last night on the stove, only to realise I wasn't going to be able to let it simmer long enough, so transferred it to the slow cooker overnight.Only it was too much for my small cooker (which I usually make stock in, and it simmers away nicely), so I had to put it in the bigger one, which doesn't cook as hot.Wake up this morning, and while it's warm, it's not even simmering, just sitting there.Will it be OK, or should I ditch it and start again!

beaker59, Aug 17, 3:33am
How warm is warm! if over 80 - 90degrees it should be good being a slow cooker I would personally assume its good to go.

amsandlant, Aug 17, 3:37am
Not sure how warm it was (have killed both my meat & candy thermometers I could've stuck in to tell me, lol).I'm just really not sure about it, and for the sake of a couple of $$ of beef bones, I'm thinking I might just try it again in the other cooker tomorrow - don't need it tonight anyway.

amsandlant, Aug 17, 10:33pm
Hopefully someone can answer this for me!I started making this last night on the stove, only to realise I wasn't going to be able to let it simmer long enough, so transferred it to the slow cooker overnight.Only it was too much for my small cooker (which I usually make stock in, and it simmers away nicely), so I had to put it in the bigger one, which doesn't cook as hot.Wake up this morning, and while it's warm, it's not even simmering, just sitting there.Will it be OK, or should I ditch it and start again!

beebs, Aug 18, 1:09am
i think if you bring it up to a boil and sustain that boil for 'a time' it kills any issues you may have been worried about.

amsandlant, Aug 18, 3:37am
Not sure how warm it was (have killed both my meat & candy thermometers I could've stuck in to tell me, lol).I'm just really not sure about it, and for the sake of a couple of $$ of beef bones, I'm thinking I might just try it again in the other cooker tomorrow - don't need it tonight anyway.

beebs, Aug 19, 1:09am
i think if you bring it up to a boil and sustain that boil for 'a time' it kills any issues you may have been worried about.