Raw fish

lavender11, Aug 15, 4:09am
and whatwould the sauce be please or is a simple basic white sauce suitable,Thanks for any ideas

buzzy110, Aug 15, 4:15am
No, white sauce does not play any part in raw fish. Japanses raw fish, shashimi, is just eaten raw, dipped in soy. Other parts of the world marinate fish in lemon juice then once it is 'cooked' add other ingredients. I am usually happy just to eat it at the post marinated stage.

DT4 knows all sorts of different types of raw fish but Island style, coconut cream or coconut milk is added along with chopped up raw onion, spring onion, chunks of tomato (with the seeds removed) and anything else you might think would go well with your raw fish.

What sort of raw fish were you thinking about!

darlingmole, Aug 15, 4:30am
the raw fish recipe I have is like this:

marinate small cubed pieces of fresh raw fish in freshly squeezed lemon juice until the flesh turns white - this indicates it is "cooked".Drain off the liquid.Pour over a tin of coconut cream, dash of tabasco sauce, pepper and salt.I also add very finely diced onion and capsicum, salt.It's SO good!I use to have it as a teenager from the local "pie cart" . mmm!

lavender11, Aug 15, 4:32am
its terakiha, i usually buy the smoked one to have with white sauce but my husband gotraw

buzzy110, Aug 15, 4:55am
I think that now we are all talking at cross purposes. Can I ask you to clarify what it is you are trying to achieve as I suspect you are wanting to know how to cook your raw fish fillets.

It is no trouble to pan fry your fillets and then smother in white sauce but there are many ways to cook fish.

margyr, Aug 15, 6:49am
you can use it just the same in a fish pie cut it into cubes and make your usual white sauce and put together.

toymit, Aug 15, 7:17am
I dont marinate mine in lemon juice,I only squeeze lemon on when I put it in my plate.

Grab a red capsicum or two,chop it and place it in coconut cream.salt to taste and leave that to soak for a few hours.Then add the raw fish and squeeze lemon over fish after you put it in your plate.This is the most basic raw fish I like. The other is when you add chilli, cucumbers,tomatoes and spring onions but I like the basic one better.

thisles5, Aug 15, 8:23am
diced snapper/ lemon juice/ spring onion/ salt / diced firm tomato/ cream /(not coconut cream) mmmm!

karen165, Aug 15, 8:45am
Snapper, spring onions, tomato(as if anyone can afford those right now), salt to taste and water. Chill for ages. My kids won't eat raw fish with cream or coconut cream after being brought up on the water one