Fondant

alebix, Aug 12, 9:31am
Hi, im new to using fondant and have a few questions.

1, How do you store any left over fondant!
2, How do you colour fondant! Gel, powder etc!
3, What do you use or where do you source your cutters for small projects like decos for cupcakes!

Any help is very much appreciated.

margyr, Aug 12, 9:37pm
left over roll into tight ball and wrap tightly in gladwrap, a couple of layers. Colouring I used paste and sometimes pastel dust to get delicate colour. cutters and clippers (shaping edges) from a cake decoration shop but I got mine all over 20 years ago so not really sure where they would be today. Learn to make little roses and use those on the top of your cupcake, dip violets in caster sugar. Hope this is of some help.

motgirl, Aug 12, 9:51pm
I usually roll my leftovers into a log shape, wrap in glad wrap and store in a ziplock bag.

I use mostly gels now for coloring, Americolor are fantastic but Wilton colours are fine too.The powders are more for dark colours like red and black but you can buy pre colored Bakels fondant for thesewhich is much easier then trying to colour your own.

I use the little pots of dusts and luster dusts for flowers and painting fondant.

Kiwi cakes online have a huge array of cutters etc.

splitty, Aug 13, 10:43pm
Hi Alebix, I wrap my fondant in gladwrap and then put it into an airtight container. I use gels for colouring, just put some in the middle and fold it over onto itsef so the gel is enclosed and keep folding until you have no more streaks, when you roll it out use cooking spray not cornflour or icing sugar, it keeps it more supple for a bit longer and doesn't dry it out like they do. If you want little flowers and things, ejector cutters are the easiest to use, it really depends an how much you want to spend cause you could just go crazy, the possibilities are endless, you can get them on here or try www.cakestuff.co.nz or most online cake decorating stores have a huge array of cutters. Also this is a good source of tips http://www.wilton.com/blog/index.php/fondant-tips-tricks/ Hope that helped

lisa7, Aug 14, 9:28am
I always double gladwrap like the others and keep in the cupboard.I use gels to colour.I get most of my cutters from Trademe, but Spotlight and cake decorating shops also have them.I use cornflour when rolling out the fondant.I store all of my gears in a tackle box, which comes out most weekends!Good luck, ps youtube has many tutorials.

splitty, Aug 14, 11:41pm
Hi Zee, you can come over and play with my recipe if you want, what does Manda use. I have just realised who you are! I will PM you my fondant recipe on FB now

alebix, Aug 15, 2:17am
Thanks Splitty, yeah its me. Thanks for the recipe.
WIll come over and play.