Cake recipe, halving then adding .

mattdylan, Aug 11, 10:28pm
I Hope this makes sense - I don't want to double my cake recipe but add an extra half of the ingredients, example if it calls for 2 eggs I will put in 3, 1 and 1/5 cups flour I would put in 2.25 cups, will this have OK results!

davidt4, Aug 11, 10:47pm
Make sure you do your sums correctly.1 and 1/5 cups (i.e. 1.2 c) of flour multiplied by 150% is 1 and 4/5 c (1.8c) not 2.25c.And be careful to use the correctly sized tin otherwise the cake will be the wrong height and won't cook properly.

mattdylan, Aug 11, 10:48pm
Sorry I meant 1 1/2 cups flour ! Ok thanks :)

cgvl, Aug 11, 11:15pm
I get what you mean mattdylan.
I have a loaf recipe that needs to be a half again to fit my tins.
so if current recipe is 1½ cups flour you will need 2¼ cups
I suggest you halve the recipe first then add that half to the original.
eg 4oz butter, 4oz sugar, 2 eggs, 1½ cups flour, 1½ tsp baking powder, ½cup milk and rind of a lemon or orange or lime. doing what you want to make, this then would become 6oz each of butter and sugar, 2¼cups flour, 2¼ tsps baking powder, 3/4cup milk, but still use the rind of one citrus fruit.

kinna54, Aug 12, 12:53am
yes it should work as long as all ratios are correct. Not like the lady in the dinner competition programe yesterday. I laughed my head off, she was working on a total of 23, then had to minus 7 and came out with an answer of 26! repeatedly.Yeh she was blonde!