Kitchen Appliances .

sarahb5, Aug 10, 9:42pm
I need your advice - I currently have a food processor which rarely gets used but is very handy for making breadcrumbs, pate, grating carrot, making coleslaw, etc. I also have a hand held cake mixer which gets used frequently for baking, batter, etc. I also have a rechargeable stick whisk which is never used because it doesn't beat fast enough. Then I have a blender which I hardly ever use except when I have the urge for a smoothie which is pretty rare. Is there one appliance I could get instead of the four which would do all the jobs I use these for at the moment! We are hoping to move and will have more kitchen storage space but I just wonder if I can streamline things a bit.

lx4000, Aug 10, 11:08pm
I make breadcrumbs in a stand blender that you make smoothies in and I use my wizz for grating in bulk and freezing down for next time (soups carrot and apple for muffins) and a hand beater can do the whisk I would think.

beaker59, Aug 10, 11:15pm
My food processor does all those jobs and more this week I have made pasta dough, cut up grapefruit for marmalade and made a fresh breadcrumb chicken stuffing. I also plan to make fallafel in it tonight to go with a wild goat Tagine.

deus701, Aug 11, 12:40am
thermomix

sarahb5, Aug 11, 3:46am
Yeah but I've heard they're about $2000 and I don't want to sell a kidney just to tidy up my kitchen .

lythande1, Aug 11, 3:53am
That does the lot.

buzzy110, Aug 11, 5:34am
Personally I'd just stick with all the appliances. Each one does something different and another may not do the job as well. I'd probably get rid of the rechargeable stick blender and get an ordinary plug in one with a small blender/processor bowl for small chopping jobs.

I have all of the appliances, and more. They hardly get used but when they do they are a godsend. Currently I use the little processor bowl on my stick blender every day, at least twice a day as I have my 1yr old grandie during the day. I have no idea what I ever did without one of these fantastic gadgets and wouldn't get rid of it for the world.

sarahb5, Aug 11, 9:45pm
Doesn't do pav because the bowl is plastic and blades don't go to the bottom and for baking I usually add and weigh which is easier in a separate bowl

meegs35, Aug 12, 4:20am
What I would give to have a Thermomix!

sarahb5, Aug 15, 2:23am
Well I had to google to find out what a Thermomix is but since they're apparently about $2,000 it doesn't matter anyway because I won't be getting one.

However, during my initial kitchen clear out at the weekend I decided I would list the blender and the twister mixer because I rarely use them and my hand mixer which I use a lot has started smelling very strange, will only turn off fully if I turn it off at the wall and is getting quite hot - at least if the appliances I've listed sell I can replace that and then when we move I can decide what I have room for and what needs to go.