Ideas for meals that are easily reheatable, but

chris160179, Aug 10, 6:09am
not to be frozen.

My husband works 3 x 12 hour shifts and isn't home until 6.30pm on those nights, so I want to have meals in the fridge that were prepared the night before and just need to be reheated.I don't have the motivation to prepare a meal as well as deal with my 2 kids alone.

We buy chicken breasts, mince, steak, and frozen fish fillets.Meal ideas using these or even vegetarian meals that kids will like are appreciated!

lx4000, Aug 10, 6:27am
cottage pie which the night before wasontop of pasta, fish pie, stew is better the next night of defrosted during the day to name a few

kinna54, Aug 10, 6:30am
Shepherds pie, Mac cheese. Otherwise you can make your mealfor you and the kids and do his shepeherds pie (full of veges) seperate in a pie dish or small casserole, or what I used to do with hubby's food when working shift was simply cook ours, place his already plated up on a wrapped plate in the fridge, (or freezer) and he would just come home 2mins in the microwave. It worked well, as often hubby would come home and was eating dinner when we were having breakfast etc. The only thing I found doesn't reheat well this way is peas, all other veg are fine.

ange164, Aug 10, 7:54am
pretty much anything with gravies/sauces. Broccoli and cheese sauce with mashed potato and casserole is good.Things like chops/steak re-heat fine but the meat tends to end up over done if you fully cooked it to begin with. Burgers/bread doesn't nuke well, but if hes got access to a toasty machine wraps and toastie pies are all good.
Butter chicken on rice with veg thrown in. Mince chow mein. Chilli con carne on rice. Chicken casserole. Leftover stirfry. Almost anything pasta based. All those reheat fine.

kinna54, Aug 11, 2:51am
Corned beef is good as well, I often cooked corned beef and just plated with veges, sauce on the side.

buzzy110, Aug 11, 5:43am
Why do you limit yourself to just those foods. There are many more things out there that you can use to make your hard working husband decent, nutritious meals that he will want to come home to. I would make my husband his evening meal, fresh, no matter what time he arrived home and always did, even when I had little ones. He was number one in our house. He worked hard, brought home lots of money for me and helped out when I needed. Why would I place him down the bottom of the list for loving and caring when I and his children, always came first in his thoughts and actions.

Lamb shoulder chops, chuck and blade steak and mince, make excellent bases for stews, curries and hearty soups of every type. You are only limited by your imagination. They are easily reheated. Are you saying you cannot make these sorts of foods.

davidt4, Aug 11, 8:37am
Moussaka.Make it in bulk, then all you need to do is heat it and make a simple green salad or Greek salad to serve with it.

And 6.30pm is hardly late to get home - most people that I know don't have dinner until at least 7.30pm, more usually 8 - 8.30pm.You could do some food prep in the daytime, get the children into bed after their dinner then spend some time making dinner for you and your hard working husband.