Would it be OK to use Eye round steak

polly45, Aug 10, 1:32am
for beef stroganoff!Cut into strips of course, and cooked in the slow cooker.This is what I have bought for a crowd on Thursday, and now I am worried that it will be tough and dry!

cgvl, Aug 10, 2:05am
not sure what eye round steak is as such. But it should be fine.
I use either rump or a stewing or casserole steak generally.
Any steak done in a slow cooker or in a slow/low oven will be nice and tender. A meat that tends to be tough as a fried steak, always comes out more tender when cooked long and slow.

polly45, Aug 10, 2:12am
Thanks cgvl, eye round is pretty much a stewing steak, but it is not very fatty, and sometimes those types get a bit dry, I have found, even in a slow cooker.I think my problem is that I have to have the slow cooker on for about 9 hours while I am at work, which really is a bit too long.Hopefully, because it will be a full pot, it will be OK :)

davidt4, Aug 10, 4:27am
Beef Stroganoff is normally made with beef fillet and it is cooked very quickly in a saute pan over high heat.Are you sure that's what you are thinking of for a slow cooker!

buzzy110, Aug 10, 5:45am
I'm glad you posted that because I have always made it this way. It is not really a slow cooker recipe.

Maybe the poster would be better of making a beef bourguignon with a chuck or blade steak.

crails, Aug 11, 7:18am
Eye Round Steak is the "eye" of the fresh silverside

aktow, Aug 11, 3:34pm
you can use any meat but cook it longer. the beef strog today is nothing like the original,my strogonoffis tasty and it can sit for hours with out breaking down,

my recipe, first i saute my beef, [any] and then i add my sliced onions,
sliced mushrooms, next lots of paprika. then addstore bought sour cream andfresh cream and fresh lemons,i add corn flour to thicken up sauce. by adding cornflour the sauce will not break down. i normally make my sauce so thick i have to add milk or water , add sliced gherkins and sliced beetroot, season. you can add a little beef stock,this strog can sit in a fry pan and stay on low for ages. if you have a crock pot it can stay in there for hours keeping warm. also the meat is real tender.

i could say to you to get fillet and stir fry real quick, add cream and lemons and reduce sauce, add other stuff,, i t nice but i prefer longer cooked sauces,, more taste