VEGETARIAN STUFFED CABBAGE ROLLS

ruby19, Aug 9, 6:00am
Does anyone have a recipe, bought myself a savoy cabbage and thought would be easy to find a recipe.

motorbo, Aug 9, 7:47am
never done it myself but i would suggest rice and your basics with flavourings, so maybe onions, garlic, u could go italian and add the herbs and tinned toms to cook the rice in with water .add some vege .wahl la!

margyr, Aug 9, 8:25am
have you tried google! I just typed vegetarian stuffed cabbage rolls and there seem to be heaps there to choose from.

davidt4, Aug 9, 8:56am
Lebanese Cabbage Rolls

Makes 25 - 30

1 cabbage
1 head garlic, coarsely chopped
2 large tomatoes, coarsely chopped
juice of 1 lemon

filling:

300g basmati rice
2 large tomatoes, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 c finely chopped parsley
¼ c finely chopped mint
¼ c olive oil
¼ tsp allspice
¼ tsp black pepper
½ tsp salt

Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil.Meanwhile core the cabbage and discard outer damaged leaves.Plunge the cabbage into the boiling water hollow side down.Remove individual leaves as the soften and break away.Drain.

Set aside a few leaves and lay the others on a chopping board.Cut away the central rib and cut each leaf into four pieces, ideally 8cm x 11 cm.

Make filling by mixing all ingredients together.

Fill each piece of leaf with 1 tsp filling by piling the filling along the short end then rolling and squeezing together, discarding any excess water.No need to fold edges in.

Line a heavy based saucepan with the reserved leaves,Pack the rolls close together but do not press down or pack too tightly.As each layer is complete sprinkle with a little garlic and tomato.

When all rolls are in the pan squeeze over the lemon juice and add enough water to cover.Cover saucepan, bring to a boil over high heat then reduce heat and simmer 1 hour or until rice is cooked.

Serve hot with a squeeze of lemon.

ruby19, Aug 9, 7:54pm
Thanks Davidt4, will let you know what my guinea pigs thought!