Please help! My first pot roast & clueless!

meiha636, Aug 6, 8:49pm
Hi there, I'd really, reeeeeeally appreciate any help I can get with this - my father-in-law gave us a freezer full of meat from his farm and as I am feeding my hubby's hungry friends tonight, I pulled out the biggest piece of meat I can find which has been labelled as "pot roast". It's huge and I'm feeding 6 males with healthy appetites - how do I cook it and what should I serve it with! So very grateful for any tips!

micky_1, Aug 6, 9:04pm
I did one yesterday in my slow cooker do you have one! 8 hours on slow was yum and tender, I roasted veges to go with it

suelin, Aug 6, 9:26pm
oven bag in slow cooker, 2 hours on high then 5 on low, great!

meiha636, Aug 6, 9:29pm
Yes I do have a slow cooker - do I need to put the meat in an oven bag inside it!

harrislucinda, Aug 6, 9:33pm
orlongmedheatin theoveninthebakingdishwithoilandaabitofwaterSeasonifnolidtothedishcoverwithtinfoil,
about1 1/2hrsbeforettimeaddpotato,spumpkin
letmeatrestoutofdishabout30minto makegraveybyaddingcornflourmixed to apastewith waterseason

harrislucinda, Aug 6, 9:34pm
noasbagwouldbesittingstraightonheatifin theovenitwouldbein adishanyway

meiha636, Aug 6, 10:16pm
So am thinking I brown before sticking in slow cooker, then use juices with a cornflour paste to make a gravy and I'm home and hosed! ;0) Have decided to do a cauli/broccoli cheese bake and roast potatoes/pumpkin with it, now just have to work on dessert!

rainrain1, Aug 6, 10:35pm
If you haven't got it in the crock pot yet, you might be better to roast it in the oven, as it may not cook in time

harrislucinda, Aug 6, 11:44pm
haveyouatinofpeachescanaddaspongeontopwithcreamoricecreamSteamspongepudwithjamatthebottomall easy to dobutnice

lythande1, Aug 7, 2:59am
3 tablespoonsoil
1 (4-pound) boneless rump roast
3 onions, sliced
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
2 bay leaves
1 sprig rosemary
1 sprig thyme
2 cupsbeef stock, more if needed
1 cup water
1 cup dry red wine
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 pounds new potatoes, scrubbed
8 carrots, cut into 1 1/2-inch-thick pieces

Instructions:
Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Heat oil in a large, heavy-bottomed Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the roast and sear on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. (A good dark brown sear is important and equals flavor.) Remove the meat from the pot and set aside.
Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until deep golden brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the paprika, bay leaves, rosemary, thyme. Stir to combine and cook until fragrant, 45 to 60 seconds. Add the stock, water and wine. Bring to a boil. Return the roast plus any accumulated juices to the Dutch oven. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with a tight-fitting lid.
Transfer to the oven and bake for 1 hour. Turn roast, add the potatoes, carrots and stock, if necessary, cover and bake an additional hour or until tender. Remove the pot from the oven. Transfer the roast to a warm platter. Tent loosely with foil to keep warm. Remove and discard bay leaves. Taste the sauce and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Spoon sauce and vegetables over roast and serve immediately.