Potatos in crockpot

muddyt, Aug 4, 7:07am
anybody else have problems with potatos not cooking have placed them on the bottom and they still dont cook

calista, Aug 4, 7:24am
Muddy I always place them around the sides because that's where the element is in my cp,Also either parboil them first or cut them into small pieces.

rainrain1, Aug 4, 7:25am
slice them up thinly and layer them on the bottom, grease your bottom first :-)

imn, Aug 4, 7:41am
I found if you cut them too thick then they will take ages. used the slow cooker today for dinner and cut my potatoes into small cubes,I also put them on the bottom and the meat on top. cooked wonderfully. mmmmmmeveryone had seconds. heh.

tiogapass, Aug 4, 9:46am
Depends what else you are cooking in the slow cooker.if the mix is too acidic the potatoes won't soften even though they are cooked.Watch out for recipes with canned tomatoes (acidic).

fisher, Aug 4, 12:03pm
Best part cooked in a saucepan on stove top with a tsp of salt. place in crock pot nearer the end of cooking. this also alleviates the hard outer when potatoes are placed directly into the crock pot. and also they absorb less of the crock pot flavour of the ingredients making everything taste the same.

calista, Aug 4, 6:54pm
Fisher - thanks for that.Even with the cut surface of the potato against the side of the cp, as Alison and Simon Holst suggest, I've never been entirely happy with them,,I don't particularly like them myself and only add them if I'm cooking for my Dad, who has the old fashioned view that "if it doesn't have spuds it's not tea."

Thanks too tiogapass, thinking back over things I've cooked that nakes sense,

fisher, Aug 4, 11:45pm
Cheers calista. try it you'll see the difference and dad will have another twinkle in his eye for his daughter for the yummy spuds.:}