Recipes for Lentils

richard198, Jan 31, 9:01pm
Okay, the Krishna Vegan version of Dhal!
This recipe is for using Mung Dal (split yellow mung beans) but red lentils are good to use instead.
1 cup beans
7 cups water
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 medium zucchini/courgette (peeled and chopped)
5 Tbs ghee (oil and butter instead)
1/2 Tbs minced fresh ginger
1 1/2 Tbs cumin seeds
1 Tbs black mustard seeds
1 green chillie (minced)
1/4 tsp hing/asofoeteda
1 1/2 tsp turmeric
1 Tbs salt
Fresh coriander.

In 1-gallon saucepan put 3 tablespoons ghee, turmeric, hing, and beans. Fry for 30 seconds on medium heat. Add vegetables and fry for 1 more minute. Add water, salt, fresh chillie and diced ginger. Bring to a boil over high heat, then cover, lower heat and let simmer for 1 hour or until the beans have dissolved into soup. Set aside.
In a small skillet, add remaining ghee. When hot, add cumin seeds and black mustard seeds. When the seeds start to crackle, pour the mixture into the pot of dahl. Garnish with fresh coriander.

davidt4, Jan 31, 9:03pm
Vegan!With ghee or butter!

richard198, Jan 31, 10:32pm
Sorry, just the Krishna version! Not Vegan!

bridget107, Jan 31, 10:35pm
This beef and lentil lasagne is delicious and extremely low in fat.http://aftertasteblog.wordpress.com/2012/01/18/beef-and-lentil-lasagne/

bridget107, Jan 31, 10:38pm
Wow, these sound so yum! Will try this weekend :-)

gardie, Aug 4, 12:15am
Anyone care to share!I have both red and brown lentils and would love some recipes to use them up.

pam.delilah, Aug 4, 12:32am
Lentil Carrot Veggie Burgers
• 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
• 1/4 cup grated carrots
• 1/4 cup water
• 3 cups cooked lentils, mashed
• 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
• 3 tbsp tomato paste
• 3/4 cup bread crumbs or rolled oats
• salt to taste
• oil for frying
Preparation:
Cook the onion and carrot in the water until tender, about ten minutes.
Drain off excess water, then combine the onion and carrot with the remaining ingredients except oil.
Form into patties and fry in a lightly oiled frying pan until browned on both sides and heated through, about ten minutes.

davidt4, Aug 4, 12:33am
Creamy Lentil Soup with Onion

1 ½ c red lentils
4 c chicken stock or water
½ tsp ground tumeric
2.5cm ginger, peeled and chopped
2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 c milk
1 ½ tsp salt

Garnish:

60g unsalted butter
1 onion, finely shredded
1 tsp cumin seeds
black pepper
¼ c coriander, finely chopped

Pick over lentils, rinse, put in large pot with chicken stock, tumeric, ginger and tomatoes.Bring to the boil and simmer uncovered about 25 min until lentils soft.Puree, add milk and salt, reheat and keep at a simmer.

To make garnish, melt butter over high heat, add onion and cumin, cook about 5 minutes until golden brown.

Serve soup hot with garnish, pepper and coriander on top.

elliehen, Aug 4, 12:58am
This recipe uses both brown and red lentils:

MOROCCAN LENTIL SOUP

Cook in 2 Tablespoons oil gently till soft:
1 finely chopped onion
3 cloves garlic
2 finely diced stalks of celery
DO NOT BROWN

Add 1 tsp each of:
turmeric
cumin
cinnamon
ginger
and a good grind of black pepper

Add:
1 can of brown lentils in brine (undrained)
1 can chickpeas in brine (undrained)
1 can crushed tomatoes (can be flavoured with roast capsicum or garlic)
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
1/2 cup dried red lentils
2 cups of water (can add a little more later if it looks too thick)

Simmer gently until veg and red lentils are cooked - about 20 mins (no crunchy celery please!)

Salt to taste, although the brine with the pulses may be salty enough

Use stick blender to mush it, and add the juice of one lemon

Serve with a garnish of very thin slices of lemon :)

gardie, Aug 4, 1:28am
Thanks - I have all the ingredients in my cupboard even!

Thanks to the others for recipes too.Please do keep them coming.

zappi, Aug 4, 2:23am
1 tablespoon oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 stick celery, diced
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 carrot, grated
1 zucchini (courgette), grated
425g can brown lentils
425g can crushed tomatoes
140g tub tomato paste
1/4teaspoon salt
1/2 x 250g packet fresh lasagne sheets

Sauce

40g margarine
3 tablespoons plain flour
3 cups low fat milk
1/2 cup grated low fat cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
The instructions to follow.Really yummy.Was nice straight away but better made ahead.

zappi, Aug 4, 2:24am
Heat oil in a large saucepan and sauté onion and celery until soft. Add curry powder and sauté a further minute. Add carrot, zucchini (courgette), brown lentils, tomatoes, tomato paste and salt. Bring mixture to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Set aside.
2To make sauce, place margarine in a bowl and heat in the microwave for 1 minute or until melted. Stir through flour, then microwave a further minute. Gradually add milk and then microwave for 8 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until mixture boils and thickens. Add cheese and salt and microwave for 1 minute.
3To assemble line the base of a 20cm x 33cm ovenproof dish with lasagne sheets. Spread with half the lentil sauce, then half the white sauce. Repeat the layers, ending with the white sauce. Bake in a moderate oven, 180ºC, for 40 minutes. Serves 8.

gardie, Aug 4, 4:29am
Sounds great zappi - thanks.

calista, Aug 4, 7:02pm
Lentil or pea soup

500 gms lentils or split peas, wash and sort
8 cups water
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
1 ½ cups chopped carrots
1 ¼ tsp dried thyme
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf.

Put all ingredients in a large pot.Bring to the boil.Reduce heat and simmer covered for 35 minutes or so until the lentils are tender.Using a stick blender, puree until smooth.Add freshly ground pepper and salt to taste.Reheat to boiling point and serve with sour cream or yogurt.

I've only made this with lentils and I really like it,

calista, Aug 4, 7:06pm
A cyberfriend from an on-line community posted this, I like it and it;s quick because i usually have the ingredients in my cupboard.

"Babybear'sTomato and lentil soup

1 onion
little oil
500g jar of tomato sauce for pasta
250g red lentils
1 pint of stock (600 mls)
boiling water

Dice and sauté the onion in a little amount of oil. Add the jar of pasta sauce, rinse out the jar with water and toss that into the pot too. Add in the stock and the lentils. Cook slowly for at least 30 minutes.

This is a gluten-free, rich, thick soup that is easily made from items in the store cupboard. I like to make this soup first thing in the morning, then re-heat it at lunch time. The extra sitting time brings out the flavours"

calista, Aug 5, 7:02pm
Lentil or pea soup

500 gms lentils or split peas, wash and sort
8 cups water
1 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped onion
1 ½ cups chopped carrots
1 ¼ tsp dried thyme
1 pinch cayenne pepper
1 bay leaf.

Put all ingredients in a large pot.Bring to the boil.Reduce heat and simmer covered for 35 minutes or so until the lentils are tender.Using a stick blender, puree until smooth.Add freshly ground pepper and salt to taste.Reheat to boiling point and serve with sour cream or yogurt.

I've only made this with lentils and I really like it,

calista, Aug 5, 7:06pm
A cyberfriend from an on-line community posted this, I like it and it;s quick because i usually have the ingredients in my cupboard.

"Babybear'sTomato and lentil soup

1 onion
little oil
500g jar of tomato sauce for pasta
250g red lentils
1 pint of stock (600 mls)
boiling water

Dice and sauté the onion in a little amount of oil. Add the jar of pasta sauce, rinse out the jar with water and toss that into the pot too. Add in the stock and the lentils. Cook slowly for at least 30 minutes.

This is a gluten-free, rich, thick soup that is easily made from items in the store cupboard. I like to make this soup first thing in the morning, then re-heat it at lunch time. The extra sitting time brings out the flavours"

gardie, Aug 5, 7:51pm
Great store cupboard recipes calista - thanks.

juliewn, Aug 6, 4:02am
I always add lentils to soup. and this quick meal is a favourite:

One Pot Lentil Dinner

Boil 120gms lentils with 500mls water (or use your favourite stock) until lentils are tender.

Add:
2 large chopped potatoes ( I scrub and leave the skins on)
1 large onion diced
1 large carrot chopped
1 stem celery chopped, use leaves too if you want
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander

Bring the mix to a boil then simmer without a lid, until the veges are as tender as you prefer.
The mix will thicken as the liquid evaporates, so stir often.
Season to taste and serve topped with chopped parsley.

Variations:
The original recipe included 2 cubes beef stock - or you could use other stock cubes
Add curry powder to your taste
Use different veges in season - swede, parsnips, shallots (have almost finished my last season's crop), etc. at this time of the year, or in summer, use courgette, capsicum, tomatoes, scallopini, aubergine, etc.

juliewn, Aug 7, 4:02am
I always add lentils to soup. and this quick meal is a favourite:

One Pot Lentil Dinner

Boil 120gms lentils with 500mls water (or use your favourite stock) until lentils are tender.

Add:
2 large chopped potatoes ( I scrub and leave the skins on)
1 large onion diced
1 large carrot chopped
1 stem celery chopped, use leaves too if you want
1 clove garlic finely chopped
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander

Bring the mix to a boil then simmer without a lid, until the veges are as tender as you prefer.
The mix will thicken as the liquid evaporates, so stir often.
Season to taste and serve topped with chopped parsley.

Variations:
The original recipe included 2 cubes beef stock - or you could use other stock cubes
Add curry powder to your taste
Use different veges in season - swede, parsnips, shallots (have almost finished my last season's crop), etc. at this time of the year, or in summer, use courgette, capsicum, tomatoes, scallopini, aubergine, etc.

gardie, Oct 4, 3:33am
Bumping for tonight's dinner!