Cupcake War on Food TV

craftylady1, Jul 31, 9:15pm
curry cupcakes?? I dont think so!!

pickles7, Jul 31, 9:35pm
lol, may be, they will be very nice.
I commend the baker.
When dose a "cup cake" become a muffin????

lx4000, Jul 31, 9:43pm
Cup cake isa cake mix, a muffin you don't cream the butter and sugar and you Just mix. You tend to have a wet mix and a dry mix for muffins.

pickles7, Jul 31, 10:16pm
lol. not these days, it is the way the "product" is presented....
Ever eaten a "muffin" from the Supermarket, bakery.
Most bakeries are making products using "Bakels" ingredients. One mix, many different products.
We made all of our products from scratch. We did use the stabilizers though, made it easy, and speedy.

jonoandstacey, Jul 31, 10:37pm
Bakels still make seperate mixes though and a decent bakery would use different mixes.
The muffin one is called Foodstuff Muffin Mix and the cake one is Petina Cake Mix. Muffin mix has egg, water and oil added, while the cake mix only has water and egg mix.
They have different textures and drop weights to the product and they are also baked differently.

craftylady1, Jul 31, 11:52pm
Somehow, curry in a muffin sounds ok...like savoury muffins. But to me a cupcake is a pretty, delicate little cake in a paper cup, all nicely decorated with pretty little thingys on the top. Curry and pretty decorations dont equal for me..

norse_westie, Aug 1, 12:12am
Yick. And the chemcially taste is nasty. Even my kids wont eat supermarket ones anymore. I think lots of low-cost bakeries in the community use the same stuff.

elliehen, Aug 1, 12:39am
Supermarket bread is like that too...same big batch of dough, different shapes ;)

pickles7, Aug 1, 1:07am
The first time we visited Sydney, we queued up to buy cakes from this "Bakery". They were all filled with the same yellow mucky..mock cream..cheese cake, custard, cream, fruit tart, choc eclair. We did not even eat them. People were queued up out onto the footpath, we thought we were going to be in for a real treat. The cakes looked very nice, that is all they had going for them.

craftylady1, Aug 1, 1:53am
There is a cupcake place in a mall in chch...theirs look gorgeous...very expensive. got some for grand daughters 2nd birthday and they tasted crappy...very commercial taste

pickles7, Aug 1, 2:05am
A bit like the downfall of the "cheese cake" shops.
Same thing applies.

craftylady1, Aug 1, 2:08am
CheeseCake shops have never made it this far south....got a couple of gateaus at the Milford CCS for the do the day after sons wedding, and were impressed...its gone now i see

be2, Aug 9, 2:40am
im don cup cakes for a cwi competion tonight. I have papers about 45cm across. is this the true cup size!be2

sue1955, Aug 9, 5:36am
be2 wrote:
im don cup cakes for a cwi competion tonight. I have papers about 45cm across. is this the true cup size!be2[/quote

I've just measured the normal cup cake papers I use for any cupcakes & they are 50mm (5cm) across the base & 75mm (7.5cm) across the top. Hope this helps.