Spice Mix / Dukka

gardie, Jul 31, 6:28pm
I'm after a recipe - can anyone help.(And yes - I've checked the search feature without success).We've been on a cruise for a month and enjoyed dipping bread and dunking into spice mix. I've brought home some oil and balsamic - just need to make a mix up.Don't want anything too spicy as I'd love to be able to still taste the balsamic.TIA.

winnie231, Jul 31, 6:32pm
Dukkah
55gm hazelnuts, 40gm sesame seeds, 2tsp ground coriander, 2tsp ground cumin, 1/2tsp freshly ground black pepper, 1tsp sea salt. Toast hazelnuts in oven for 5mins or until toasted. Rub off skins in clean tea towel & chop finely. Place sesame seeds in frying pan & cook tossing all the time for 2-3mins until toasted. Add coriander, cumin & pepper. Cook stirring for about 30 seconds. Add the hazelnuts & salt to the mix and stir to combine.

Sweet Dukkah:
1/3c sesame seeds, 2T poppy sees, 2/3c toasted almonds roughly chopped, 1/4c pine nuts, 3tsp of spices of your choice (i.e. cinnamon, mixed spice, ginger, nutmeg etc), olive oil, 1 generous T honey. Preheat oven to 200°C. Combine seeds, almonds, pine nuts & spices and spread on oven tray. Drizzle with a little olive oil & toast for 4mins. Add honey & stir to combine. Toast a further 5-7mins until golden. Allow to cool then process in food processor until roughly chopped. Can be used on cereals, pancakes, on top of fruit toast with honey etc.
above 2 both posted by rkcroft

Alison Holst's Dukkah
I made this recently for the first time - it's very easy & relatively quick to make, and....yummy to eat. 1/2 cup each of sesame seeds, sunflower seeds & pumpkin seeds, 1 cup blanched almonds, 1/4 cup each of cumin seeds & coriander seeds, 1&1/2 tsp each of rock salt & turmeric, 1 tbsp ground paprika. Heat the oven to 180°C. Put the seeds & almonds in to roast, in separate foil dishes &/or pie plates etc., in the order given. Watch carefully, checking them at least every 5 minutes, & take out each container when the seeds have darkened a little (but not a lot) & have an appetising aroma. (As a guide, most will take about 10 minutes, but sesame & sunflower seeds usually take longer.) Leave to cool, then grind with the salt, paprika & turmeric, in 1 or 2 batches in a food processor, using the pulse button. The final mixture should have a grainy texture - it should not be an oily powder. Store in airtight jars in a cool cupboard. Makes 2 cups.

Dukkah (with hazelnuts)
1 tbsp each of coriander seeds & cumin seeds, 1/4 cup sesame seeds, 1/2 cup hazelnuts, 1 x 70g packet blanched almonds (toasted), 1/4 tsp each of salt & paprika, a good pinch chilli powder, or more for a spicier mix. Toast the hazelnuts & remove as many of the hazelnut skins as possible by placing them in the middle of a clean teatowel, then draw up the edges of the teatowel to enclose. Holding the bundle in one hand, rub with the other hand. Discard the skins. Scatter the coriander, cumin & sesame seeds over the base of a small, heavy-based frying pan. Stir over a medium heat until the sesame seeds are toasted & aromatic. Transfer to a plate to cool. Place all the ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until the mixture resemble fine breadcrumbs. Makes 1&1/4 cups. above 2 both posted by 245sam

Cashew Dukkah
Dukkah is an Egyptian speciality, traditionally eaten with bread dipped first into olive oil then into the nut mixture. It can also be used as a coating on meat before cooking and as a seasoning, sprinkled over salads and vegetables. 1 cup raw cashews, 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, 1 teaspoon sea salt, ½ teaspoon cumin seeds, ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, ½ teaspoon smoked paprika, Finely grated zest of 1 lemon, Dry roast cashews in a small frypan, stirring often. Add remaining ingredients and toast until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Cool slightly then blend in a food processor to fine crumbs. Dukkah will keep in a sealed jar for at least a week. Makes about ¾ cup posted by babytears

neele1, Jul 31, 7:55pm
sounds nice

elliehen, Aug 1, 5:39am
gardie, if you get impatient before making your own, there's a good brand sold by New World - several varieties, and check the Best Before date too.

gardie, Aug 1, 5:52am
Thanks everyone.I did look in New World yesterday elliehen and couldn't find anything so thought I'd need to to make my own.Will need to buy an ingredient or two.

marree, Aug 1, 10:15pm
Yum - Dukkah I do like and miss very much from when I lived in Cairo.Another well known EGY dip is Baba Ghanoush (eggplant based) - not keen on it - even tho I do like eggplant.I have many Middle Eastern recipes (savoury / sweet) sourced from my ex's 'mama' (bless her heart!) if anyone wants.For those on a budget 'Koshary' is very cheap, filling & tasty.I've also seen people on here interested in 'tagine' cooking - I have recipes for that, together with many Mediterranean recipes (my favourite dip being Tzatziki - cucumber, yog, garlic, lemon juice). Honestly I can cook a descent meal (most times!) but useless at baking - however over last week you ladies have given me inspiration - I've made bikkies, slices, home made icecream - OMG & all got demolished by my man & boys - who are now asking 'when are you going to do some more baking? - oh look out I'm on a roll now! might be the next up & coming Julia Childs! (think not!)

elliehen, Aug 2, 3:24am
Please post your favourites :)

marree, Aug 2, 11:54am
elliehen - it's difficult as I have so many 'favourites'.If anyone is interested in Middle Eastern food (especially Egyptian) I'm happy to help, but really they all go 'hand in hand' so to speak (with a twist of Turkish / Greek) - going into the Mediterranean style of food.People who have travelled to these places will understand what I'm talking about.It may be better if say you had a dish in mind (ie lamb / chicken) - I couldgive you recipes. I want to pass on these lovely recipes in lieu of you lovely ladies (and men maybe?) giving me encouragement to 'bake' (OMG - made a batch of bikkies today (30 - there's 6 left - must have been good aye?)