Dark Mushrooms:

porsche9, Jul 27, 10:27pm
I can do a good mushroom recipe but!!!cannot get my mushrooms dark when cooked like you get in cafes.Anyone help here appreciated.

ferita, Jul 27, 10:47pm
The darkness is from the spores. To get the darker colour you need darker looking mushrooms.

Or are you meaning browning them when cooking? If so then cook first uncovered to release evaporate the water and allow them to brown rather then stew in their own juices.

timturtle, Jul 27, 11:23pm
Use swiss browns

jag5, Jul 28, 12:32am
Or use gravy browning to colour them up.I have a bottle of this in my pantry (lasts for years) and use when gravy a bit pale, mushrooms etc and can also be used in fruit cakes when cooking in the microwave...makes them look like they are out of the oven.

No odour, no taste....just colour.....great stuff

porsche9, Jul 28, 10:27pm
I can do a good mushroom recipe but!cannot get my mushrooms dark when cooked like you get in cafes.Anyone help here appreciated.

ferita, Jul 28, 10:47pm
The darkness is from the spores. To get the darker colour you need darker looking mushrooms.

Or are you meaning browning them when cooking! If so then cook first uncovered to release evaporate the water and allow them to brown rather then stew in their own juices.

jag5, Jul 29, 12:32am
Or use gravy browning to colour them up.I have a bottle of this in my pantry (lasts for years) and use when gravy a bit pale, mushrooms etc and can also be used in fruit cakes when cooking in the microwave.makes them look like they are out of the oven.

No odour, no taste.just colour.great stuff