Fish Cakes

jurseygurl, Jul 26, 2:17am
What recipe to people use? The other half wants fish cakes for tea.

cgvl, Jul 26, 2:45am
my basic recipe is: potato, cooked and mashed (don't add milk or butter),
fish, fresh smoked or tinned either salmon or tuna (use the plain ones not flavoured)
finely chopped onion, parsley if you have chopped.
mix all the above together with 1 egg and about ½ cup of flour and 1tsp baking powder, add a little milk if seems dry. Season with salt and pepper.
Shape into balls/patties and either roll in flour/breadcrumbs/cornflakes or leave plain.
fry or bake until golden brown.
Optional extras add lemon or lime juice to mix, grated lemon or lime rind, Lemon pepper.
go by taste to see if you have them tangy enough ...... don't want too bland unless you have a really nice dipping sauce like sweet chilli.

shop-a-holic, Jul 26, 3:41am
Mines quite similar.
I'll flake fresh (poached in milk, onion and 3 whole cloves) fish into very dry potato mash. I add chopped Dill and Italian Parsley. Season well. Chill.
When shaping into balls, I insert a cubed piece of fresh salmon which has been bathing in fresh lemon juice for a couple of hours. Smooth over potato and fish/herb mixture. Dip in beaten egg, and rolled into crumbs. Place back into the fridge until ready to cook.
Everyone gets a surprise cracking into these tasty beggars, with the centres filled with lemon scented fresh salmon.

jurseygurl, Jul 26, 3:45am
thanks both recipes sound yummy

glenys21, Jul 26, 3:51am
Sounds yummy, tea made, many thanks for the recipes

52many, Jul 26, 6:09am
Sounds very expensive but by god it sounds yummy! Something for the christmas time barbecue, I think!

jurseygurl, Jul 27, 2:17am
What recipe to people use! The other half wants fish cakes for tea.

cgvl, Jul 27, 2:45am
my basic recipe is: potato, cooked and mashed (don't add milk or butter),
fish, fresh smoked or tinned either salmon or tuna (use the plain ones not flavoured)
finely chopped onion, parsley if you have chopped.
mix all the above together with 1 egg and about ½ cup of flour and 1tsp baking powder, add a little milk if seems dry. Season with salt and pepper.
Shape into balls/patties and either roll in flour/breadcrumbs/cornflakes or leave plain.
fry or bake until golden brown.
Optional extras add lemon or lime juice to mix, grated lemon or lime rind, Lemon pepper.
go by taste to see if you have them tangy enough . don't want too bland unless you have a really nice dipping sauce like sweet chilli.

shop-a-holic, Jul 27, 3:41am
Mines quite similar.
I'll flake fresh (poached in milk, onion and 3 whole cloves) fish into very dry potato mash. I add chopped Dill and Italian Parsley. Season well. Chill.
When shaping into balls, I insert a cubed piece of fresh salmon which has been bathing in fresh lemon juice for a couple of hours. Smooth over potato and fish/herb mixture. Dip in beaten egg, and rolled into crumbs. Place back into the fridge until ready to cook.
Everyone gets a surprise cracking into these tasty beggars, with the centres filled with lemon scented fresh salmon.