Cooked chickens

maximus44, Jul 20, 8:12am
Has anyone ever frozen the cooked chickens you buy at the supermarket?

veejay13, Jul 20, 8:20am
Yes, I do it all the time - I reckon it's cheaper to buy a ready-cooked one at the supermarket than it is to buy a frozen one and cook it myself.

When I get it home I pull it off the bone, putserving-sized portions in freezer containers, cover it with Maggi roast chicken gravy (to keep it moist in the freezer) and heat it in the microwave when required.Works beautifully.

gamma71, Jul 20, 8:24am
I do it all the time,no probs

onenana, Jul 20, 10:51am
I used to make chicken chow mein (with the s/mart cooked chicken ) and we'd eat half of it and freeze the rest. But i see these days there is actually a warning on the chicken wrapping saying NOT to reheat *shrug*. I'm sure they used to say not to reheat more than once.I've never had any problems. What do other people do? Same with if you want to eat it hot for tea but have to wait for your spud & vegs to cook after you get home from the s/mart. Would it be best to put the chook in the oven to keep it warm (this seems to defeat the purpose) or, is it OK to give it a quick nuke before serving?

maximus44, Jul 21, 6:40am
Thank you so much for your replies. Will definitely be freezing one next time they are on a special.

timturtle, Jul 21, 10:14pm
I used to break a chicken into four, then do a big lot of roast veges, tinned peas and gravy, would put onto 4 plates, eat one, and freeze the other 3, on the plates, then just take one out b4 work, and come home and microwave it for tea. They used to be really good, and far better than any microwave meals from the freezer in the supermarket