Liquid food

nikiez, Jul 19, 10:16am
My boy is booked in for facial surgery, and will be having his upper and lower jaws broken, altered positions and wired for a month...anyone got any good liquid meal recipes...just so that I look like I care for him.

lx4000, Jul 19, 10:42am
baby mash!!mmMMmm Take a good roast and blitz it! Gravy in all!!This would work with most meals with a gravy!!

Complan, spirilena (sp), frozen banana and milk.

Hoem made soups also are great.

juliewn, Jul 19, 12:54pm
Hi.. Pumpkin and other soup's would be good too.. add other veges that he would enjoy..

Whizz the soups in a processor to a puree that he could sip through a straw.. add lentils for protein.. or whizz a hard boiled egg through..

Ask at the hospital as they'll probably have a menu sheet with suggestions..

I hope it goes well for your Son.. hard when our Kids are needing surgeries.. best wishes.. take good care..

asue, Jul 20, 3:21am
Get a stick blender and just blend it together exactly wot you are eating.I worked in a rest home and we use to even do that with fish and chips, poached eggs on toast, takeaways etc on treat nights. (sumtimes needed a touch of extra liquid with it tho)

retailgirl, Jul 20, 3:41am
I would go with the stick blender works well with pasta dishes just add a little extra sauce or chicken stock and blend

evorotorua, Jul 20, 5:02am
Poor guy. Just make sure you ask him what sort of flavours he feels like. Really, having no texture in his food, it's all he has in a meal. I feel for him. I had pureed food for three weeks and it's not fun. I looked forward to flavour. Remember that pureed potato can be like glue and it does your head in! I agree with the "ask the hospital" suggestion. It is three meals a day for four weeks. That's a really long time.

seaturtle, Jul 23, 8:21pm
I use to cook for an elderly vegan lady that had to have a full puree meal
she would have porridge for breakfast with cream rather than milk as slightly thickened fluids are easier to swallow and lunch we would mouli coleslaw with extra mayo and any other veges. yoghurt and instant puds were also a hit .
But keeping all the pureed foods dished seperatly on her plate always kept her meals intresting

retired, Jul 23, 8:41pm
Over fifty years ago my son was in Great Ormond Street Hospital.He was not allowed solids and they fed him on mashed up banana and rich home made ice cream.Everything he ate went through a mouli at home.Hope this helps.Does his food have to be sucked up by straw?