When designing a new Kitchen

vintagekitty, Mar 20, 5:34am
what do you recommend? . There are so many extra's to choose from, its quite overwhelming

yduj, Mar 20, 6:21am
Something we did and have not regretted is instead of having a pantry from ceiling to floor (along a wall - we couldn't do the corner thing) we have four drawers from about hip height down (2 sets of 2). I put my baking stuff in one, potatoes and onions etc in one, and in the bottom two there are baking dishes, sieves, pizza trays etc.

So much easier access than if that section had been cupboards as well.

findit1, Mar 20, 6:26am
LOve my deep drawers, and also like my 2part pantry (top and bottom cupboards).
If any little akward spaces the tray cupboard is a great help for oven trays, as well as chopping boards.

michelle145, Mar 20, 6:30am
Corner pantrys suck anyway. Big drawers. Heavy duty soft closing runners. Dont get sucked in with the likes of wari corners. .

vintagekitty, Mar 20, 9:15am
I dont like corner cupboards either, as things always get pushed to the back, esp on the bottom shelf. Do you use the deep drawers for plates, glasses, pots etc. My last house had a lovely kitchen with the deep drawers and I could fit loads in them.

Also fancy a butlers sink with the tall spout with the hose that pulls out, would be handy for large pots, roasting dishs etc

nzhel, Mar 20, 12:36pm
Our last new house had a large kitchen that we designed ourselves and a corner pantry is really good as long as its a reasonable size. I loved ours and it was never a problem to access and I think the idea is to not have the shelves too deep as thats when you get stuff loaded up and you forget whats hiding at the back. Deep drawers are fantastic for your pots and plates, and I insisted on having a little narrow cupboard for hand and teatowels on a pull out rack and it had room for trays and the chopping boards too. The towels were then out of sight. Also a pullout drawer for a rubbish bin was great and we got a decent size one. We made sure no smelly rubbish was put in it - that went into the main rubbish bin. We kept the microwave at eye level height and it had a pull down cupboard door so it could be hidden away. It was a dream kitchen - wish we still had that house!

rainrain1, Mar 20, 8:02pm
Deep drawers, clean lines and stick to the basics, unless you want lots of pokey cubby holes and corners to clean

barloo, Mar 20, 8:07pm
Lighting! ! Make sure you have lights where you need them! !

Bigger deep draw for potato masher, serving spoons, whisks etc! ! The normal ones are always too small!

Sink top that is level or stainless steel with bench top as part of it! ! Otherwise you have to get water over the sink rim to get rid of it! !

If you have a pantry, make sure the shelves are wide enough and adjustable for your changing needs!

lizzie2000, Mar 20, 10:30pm
I put in a lazy susan in a corner cupboard for all my pots. Its great! I only wish I had put one in the other corner too as the cupboards are deep and things get lost in the back.

daleaway, Mar 21, 12:06am
We had foldback doors on our corner cupboards and that worked very well. Other things I am very grateful for are many drawers, an auto-light in the pantry that comes on and off with the door (like a fridge light), a two-part wall oven, and a recess for sliding trays into (including oven trays). I found a small plastic lazy Susan that was an asset in the pantry as well for sauce bottles.
The other thing I use a lot are long trays that are actually plastic terrine moulds that I bought second-hand from a deli - they are great for rounding up small packets and bottles like spices and essences, as they pull out easily from the pantry, keep everything very tidily together, and contain spills, too. You could substitute ice cream containers.

lisa7, Nov 19, 12:45am
We too have deep drawers, 3 below our pantry and others for our pots, pans, roasting dishes etc. I especially love our granite benchtop. It is so worth the extra dollars.