Jamie Oliver's Portugese Custard Tarts

kiwibubbles, Jul 16, 8:44am
Just saw them on his new tv show tonight - 30 min meals. Anyone got the recipe? They look absolutely divine!

motorbo, Jul 16, 9:04am
it was on the show

kiwibubbles, Jul 16, 9:09am
oh really? I missed out on the quantities - i got the pastry part, but not the quanities of the custard filling apart from the 1 egg lol

raewyn64, Jul 16, 9:15am
http://tvnz.co.nz/jamies-30-minute-meals/s1-e1-video-4306172

This the program on TV on demand if it helps

raewyn64, Jul 16, 9:20am
or this
Quick Portuguese Custard Tarts - Jamie's 30 Minute Meals

(makes 6 tarts)

• plain flour, for dusting
• 1 x 375g pack of pre-rolled puff pastry
• ground cinnamon
• 125g crème fraîche
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon vanilla paste or vanilla extract
• 5 tablespoons golden caster sugar
• 1 orange

Dust a clean surface with flour. Unroll the sheet of pastry, then cut it in half so you end up with two 20 x 20cm squares of pastry (put one in the fridge for another day). Sprinkle over a few good pinches of ground cinnamon, then roll the pastry into a Swiss roll shape and cut into 6 rounds. Put these into 6 of the holes in a muffin tin, and use your thumbs to stretch and mould the pastry into the holes (just like in the picture) so the bottom is flat and the pastry comes up to the top. Put on the top shelf of the oven and cook for around 8 to 10 minutes (set the timer), or until lightly golden.

Spoon the crème fraîche into a small bowl. Add the egg, vanilla paste or extract, 1 tablespoon of golden caster sugar and the zest of 1 orange. Mix well.

Take the muffin tin out of the oven, and use a teaspoon to press the puffed up pastry back to the sides and make room for the filling. Spoon the crème fraîche mixture into the tart cases, and return to the top shelf of the oven. Set the timer for 8 minutes.

Put a small saucepan on a high heat. Squeeze in the juice from the zested orange and add 4 tablespoons of golden caster sugar. Stir and keep a good eye on it, but remember caramel can burn badly so don’t touch or taste.

Pour some caramel over each tart (they’ll still be wobbly, but that’s good). Put aside to set.

kiwibubbles, Jul 16, 9:26am
awesome thanks for that :D

gojojo2, Jul 16, 10:32am
Lol -was just going to search for that recipe. Thanks!

mandas, Jul 16, 10:55pm
Yum, sounds easy too.

beaker59, Jul 16, 11:59pm
I liked the safety tips on handling the caramel, I know someone who lost thier foot when a potful fell on them many years ago.