Why don't my cakes rise

snowboard123, Jul 12, 8:42am
When I make cup cakes, they turn out great.Cakes however, never rise or only slightly.

deus701, Jul 12, 10:53am
There are a few questions you can ask yourself:
Did you add enough baking powder? Did you add baking soda? did you whip your egg yolks and egg whites (separately) with enough volume? Were you rough when you mix your cake batter? (knocking air out) Were you rough when you pour you cake batter into the pans?

kinna54, Jul 12, 11:03am
Tin too big for your mixture? Always refer to size measurements of cake pan if applicable. Paper Line cake pan bottom and/or grease the cake pan sides. Depending uponwhat type of cake I'm making, but I normally line the bottom and sides of the tin and grease the paper, especially important to line the sides if making a sponge, or similar. Some tins (or if using a springform pan) you can get away with just lining the bottom only, but if in doubt.... Do you open the oven door during cooking? correct ratio of baking powder to your mix? creaming your mix well, and folding (not beating or stirring) your dry ingredients in. Correct oven temperature, and oven preheated to the correct temp before placing cake in. Hope this helps, good luck with future endeavours.

lx4000, Jul 12, 9:00pm
agrees with above posts :)

susieq9, Jul 12, 11:07pm
Perhaps old baking powder or baking soda.