Pies to make to freeze

goosey15, Jul 10, 10:19pm
im wanting to make some sweet and savoury pies to freeze for hubbys lunch while calving, was hoping to do a steak and cheese pie but thought about doing others but dont actually know how to go about it(mini ones in big muffin tins) - do i cook the pies then freeze then just reheat? and for the gravy with steak, would a bisto gravy made up work good?

harrislucinda, Jul 10, 11:10pm
yescookcoolandthenpackincling wrapyesthickengravywithbistro

suie1, Jul 10, 11:58pm
Hi Goosy, I would not use Bistro as I think it would be too runny, use flour or cornflour paste & flavour it with marmite or beef stock powder. Also your filling will need to be chilled before putting into pastry cases & then putting straight into a hot oven,otherwise the bottoms will go soggy & may fall out. I would probably under do rather than cook fully so they will not burn or dry out when re-heating.

goosey15, Jul 11, 12:38am
Awesome thanks, also to do some fruit ones or custard- would they be ok to freeze?

lx4000, Jul 11, 1:17am
yip

kinna54, Jul 11, 1:22am
Another nice one that I do is chicken and leek and potato. It is gorgeous, I make it like a pot pie, in a ramekin. I use a chicken stock and casserole the chicken and veges slowly, then just thicken the juices to make the gravy.
Another one which is always tops is bacon and egg, put a little grated cheese on top of the bottom layer of pastry, before putting in your bacon and egg, it helps the bottom to stay crisp. yummy and can be eaten hot or cold.

chooky, Jul 11, 7:48am
I make b/egg pies in my Texas muffin tins, also quiche's and freeze for my sons lunch. Wrap all my muffins up separate and freeze, at night when I'm doing the luches just take straight from the freezer.Defrosted by morning tea and into the microwave at work.