Orange jelly (like jam) help please

duce3, Jul 9, 10:37pm
I made mandarin jelly yesterday but it turned out more like runny honey.I don't want that to happen to my orange jelly too.It took ages to squeeze 2 litres juice!

clair4, Jul 9, 10:59pm
6 lemons, 6 oranges, Sugar
Squeeze the lemons and measure juice and add three times as much water.Scrape the rind from the oranges with a marmalade sredder and tie the chips loosely in a muslin bag.Cut the white pith and flesh of the oranges and three lemons into very thin slices.Pour over the diluted lemond juice, put in the bag of chips, and soak for 24 hours in an earthenware bowl.Boil until the pulp is soft then strain through two thicknesses of butter muslin, squeezing gently to extract all the liquor.
Measure and for every cups of juice add 1 - 3/4 cups of sugar.Put into preserving pan and add the chips shaken free from the muslin bag.Boil rapidly to the jelly stage:Cool slightly, stir, and pour into the jelly jars.
This recipe gives a clear jelly with fine shreds of peel through it.

I have not made this and it is from an old journal cookery book.

duce3, Jul 9, 11:03pm
thank you, I was hoping to avoid the pith and peel as it adds an amount of bitterness to the jelly.I may have to succumb to peel.
I did wonder if making apple/orange jelly it would set better.

jaymar, Jul 30, 8:39am
have made grapefruit jelly, orange jelly and mandarin jelly all with
the fruit plus 2 lemons and 1 green apple.Pulp all.In a large pot place pulp and full with water, boil for 45 mins.Strain out juice in muslin.
Place juice back into pot, bring to boil adding sugar as it heats up.I added sugar to my taste which was about 7 cups to 12 cups of liquid.Rolling boil between 1 - 1 1/2 hours, testing for setting consistancy after 1 hour. Pour into hot sterilized jars and seal.All have set perfectly.

buzzy110, Jul 30, 8:37pm
I'd like to just say thank you very much for this recipe. It is now safely copied into my Lemon and Citrus Recipe Folder for future use. It looks amazing.

Can you tell me - when you say "green apple" do you mean a green skinned apple or an unripe or cooking apple.

jaymar, Jul 31, 7:23am
i usually use a granny smith

jaymar, Jul 31, 7:28am
should also have said that I use one quarter to one third of a pot of pulp.

buzzy110, Jul 31, 8:37pm
I'd like to just say thank you very much for this recipe. It is now safely copied into my Lemon and Citrus Recipe Folder for future use. It looks amazing.

Can you tell me - when you say "green apple" do you mean a green skinned apple or an unripe or cooking apple.

duce3, Jul 9, 10:37pm
I made mandarin jelly yesterday but it turned out more like runny honey.I don't want that to happen to my orange jelly too.It took ages to squeeze 2 litres juice!