Making an extra large cake

samsara11, Jul 8, 6:37am
Suggestions please.I have a great chocolate cake recipe that is already made in a large cake tin.A friend wants me to make it for her 70th and it will mean a double recipe.I am very nervous about making a cake that large and am thinking of making two large sqare cakes and joining them together

tarankyle, Jul 8, 7:15am
I have used this one that I found off here some time ago;
ROASTING DISH CHOCOLATE CAKE...

MIX: 3 cups flour, 1 & 1/2 tsp salt, 3/4 tsp baking powd, 1 & 1/2 tsp baking soda, 2 & 2/3 cup sugar, 1 cup & 2 tbsp cocoa.
Add to the dry ingr: 1 cup + 2 tbsp water, 1 cup + 2 tbsp oil.
Mix for 1 minute. then add: 5 eggs, 3/4 cup water and 1 & 1/2 tsp vanilla ess.
Combine everything mix for about 2 mins (or until combined), bake in a lined and greased roasting dish for approx 1/2 hour at 180 deg.
Check with skewer if it looks done, ice with chocolate butter icing, .

Or just search all the old listings for more roasting dish sized cakes.

firemansgirl, Jul 8, 9:33am
I'm probably going to sound like a total blonde, but there are so many different sized roasting dishes, please can you give me the measurements of the dish you used for this recipes? Many thanks!!

melissa411, Jul 8, 9:55am
I would make it twice and join them together with choc butter icing or ganache. I'm making one for my brothers engagement. Going to make 2 with butter icing in between then covered in ganache with choc shards around outside then a ribbon wrapped around. choc curls and bright coloured fake gerbers (if thats how you spell it) on top.