Food for invalids

taniajane, Jul 8, 1:49am
I am far to young to have shingles and yet here i am, making like a virus ridden, pustule covered grossness.
I am so tired i am only awake for about an hour before i have to sleep again and i only wake because i am hungry.
i know im not making it any better by living off a bit of dry vogels so does anyone have a crockpot recipe or something that i can make in bulk or will keep or is really quick which will aid my recovery.
Off to bed again now.I hope you have ideas because my brain has turned to mush as well.

margyr, Jul 8, 2:18am
comfort food, here is a recipe of someone elses, but in the thread someone said they had made it and loved it. Hope you are better soon.
Macaroni Cheese (Crockpot)

2-2 ½ cups of macaroni 25g of butter
3 cups of grated colby cheese 3 tbsp flour
1 tsb garlic salt 3 cups of boiling water.

Turn the slow cooker on high to preheat and coat with non-stick spray. Tip pasta in the crock pot, melt the butter in the microwave and pour over pasta, chuck in everything else mix gently, cover with lid and cook on high for 2.5 to 3 hours. Stir gently every hour or so.

I add onion, bacon and tomatoes to this one

Edited by winnie15 at 7:07 pm, Wed 6 Apr

winnie15 (321 ) 7:06 pm, Wed 6 Apr #15

winnie231, Jul 8, 2:54am
Oh - poor you! I've had Shingles so I know the agony involved.
Back then I had a holistic doctor. He told me to have lots of fresh fruit & veges, fresh veg soup made with real chicken stock & Vit C tablets.
You want to boost your immune system as much as possible.
For the sores - wet towels/washcloths that have been in the freezer for a while are great. Also aloe vera jel sqeezed fresh from the plant as needed is very healing but don't lie on your best white sheets as it can be staining.
Hope you feel better soon.

antoniab, Jul 8, 3:31am
Ouchie my friend just got over shingles and she is only 24 so dont feel bad :) Must just be run down

taniajane, Jul 8, 7:25am
Thank you for the advice people!crock pot mac n cheese sounds good and easy and filling.
Will be getting a friend to deliver some vit c tablets tomorrow!Had the energy to make chicken tom yum and am feeling human.

kinna54, Jul 10, 9:25am
I was just going to say Chicken soup! glad the Tom Yum has made you feel a little better.

jennyfenny1, Jul 10, 11:30am
ohhh i feel your pain too - i got shingles when i was only 14, mum said i was "burning the candle at both ends" trying to do all the sport, school and partying i could fit in to each day. so just take it easy, take as long as you need to get back to 100% and theres nothing wrong with simple,easy comforting options such as baked beans or scrambled eggs that don't requiremuch effort or fore-thought. feel better soon!