Porterhouse Steak suggestions please

Page 1 / 2
atena, Jan 20, 6:01am
I know this is an old thread but I thought I should put this one here. It is the best recipes for porterhouse steak http://www.youtube.com/watch!v=Dtjo8DDspx0&feature=related

kinna54, Jan 20, 8:53am
Marinade it, and then use in kebabs. Yes do beware the kiwifuit, great for a quick marinade, couple of hrs max.
Porterhouse strips are also great in beef stroganoff, or use it marinated, then thinly sliced in stir fries.

next-to-normal, Jan 20, 9:38am
garlic and ground black peppercorns and fry it,then make a sauce with cream in the juices on a low heat and let it bubble lighty and short time

lynan, Jan 20, 11:06am
I agree with the kiwifruit rub ( or paw paw) if it is tough . for an hour or so then BBQ/fry until med rare. Cool and slice thinly on an angle and use in a Thai Beef Salad whilst still slightly warm. Delicious!

xtownie, Jul 7, 8:08pm
I have quite a bit of Porterhouse to use its been quite tough this time round (its from our own farm) to eat just as "Steak" but it doesnt slow cook in a casserole very well either, it goes a bit stringy. Any other suggestions of how to enjoy this steak?

ruby19, Jul 7, 8:15pm
Would marinating it help?

mackenzie2, Jul 7, 8:22pm
I would rub Baking soda into the meat, then leave it for an hr, then wash the baking soda off, pat meat dry and then fry as you normally would, The baking soda breaks down the toughness of the meat, try it, it works, I have even done stewing steak like this purely to see if it works, the meats flavour wasn;t so good, but it was tender....

beaker59, Jul 7, 9:05pm
Mince it, that would make awesome mince.

Was it a cull cow. did it age long enough?

xtownie, Jul 7, 11:13pm
We are Dairy Farmers and run Beefys purely for our home meat supply, the rest of the beast was great, we actually havent had a decent beast of Porterhouse for a while.

rainrain1, Jul 7, 11:31pm
I have never heard of stringy porterhouse before, how about making it into braised steak and onions

kernal1, Jul 8, 8:12am
Porterhouse is for frying/grilling,,what a waste using in stews etc! Cook quickly and should melt in your mouth! As a now 'townie 'would give my eye teeth for some farm killed Porterhouse, as a butcher's daughter even more tender if a little 'aged'! If you get to town check what we have to pay for even a small helping! Every beef cut has it's uses! Use it wrong and you will have a disaster or unsatisfactory results. Sorry! Cooks fault, not the meat!

jag5, Jul 8, 8:31am
Mush up kiwifruit and put over steak for a few hours.There is an enzyme in the KF that breaks down the meat.Works a treat apparently.Would need to do both sides.

I agree that stewing or mincing would be an waste....but marinades should help tremendously.

xtownie, Jul 8, 10:48am
I know its a waste of good steak etc etc to use Porterhouse in a stew and I consider myself a very good cook and am fully aware of how to cook a great steak and how to cook various cuts, but just the last 3 beasts we have had killed the Porterhouse has been shit. Very frustrating. Have even talked to our home kill Butcher about it and he couldnt really give an answer.

shop-a-holic, Jul 8, 11:26am
Beware of using Kiwifruit. It works a treat, but after 2 hours, it starts to 'eat' the Sirloin and say...800grms ends up being 500 grms. You can't get any better.
ie: don't leave it overnight (tee hee).

xtownie, Jul 8, 8:08pm
I have quite a bit of Porterhouse to use its been quite tough this time round (its from our own farm) to eat just as "Steak" but it doesnt slow cook in a casserole very well either, it goes a bit stringy. Any other suggestions of how to enjoy this steak!

ruby19, Jul 8, 8:15pm
Would marinating it help!

mackenzie2, Jul 8, 8:22pm
I would rub Baking soda into the meat, then leave it for an hr, then wash the baking soda off, pat meat dry and then fry as you normally would, The baking soda breaks down the toughness of the meat, try it, it works, I have even done stewing steak like this purely to see if it works, the meats flavour wasn;t so good, but it was tender.

beaker59, Jul 8, 9:05pm
Mince it, that would make awesome mince.

Was it a cull cow. did it age long enough!

littleblackhen, Jul 9, 3:39am
Cook it on a bbq medium to low heat with the lid down,till you reach the level of doneness you want,ours always comes out tender.Happy trying.

allviv, Jul 9, 3:50am
jag5 wrote:
Mush up kiwifruit and put over steak for a few hours.There is an enzyme in the KF that breaks down the meat.Works a treat apparently.Would need to do both sides.

Only leave for about 1hour! tried and tested.

rainrain1, Jul 9, 6:39am
It's a bad steak if it needs marinated

snoopy221, Jul 9, 6:44am
fire it in to the base of a baking dish. Cover with onions.
Throw bacon on top add a bit of worchestershire? and soya sauces......
slow cook for about 3 hours.
Do a pile of mashed potatoe and top it with that. sprinkle some grated cheese on top and grill.....

kernal1, Jul 9, 8:12am
Porterhouse is for frying/grilling,,what a waste using in stews etc! Cook quickly and should melt in your mouth! As a now 'townie 'would give my eye teeth for some farm killed Porterhouse, as a butcher's daughter even more tender if a little 'aged'! If you get to town check what we have to pay for even a small helping! Every beef cut has it's uses! Use it wrong and you will have a disaster or unsatisfactory results. Sorry! Cooks fault, not the meat!

jag5, Jul 9, 8:31am

I agree that stewing or mincing would be an waste.but marinades should help tremendously.

shop-a-holic, Jul 9, 11:26am
Beware of using Kiwifruit. It works a treat, but after 2 hours, it starts to 'eat' the Sirloin and say.800grms ends up being 500 grms. You can't get any better.
ie: don't leave it overnight (tee hee).