Help with a pot luck dish please

whiskey13, Jul 7, 1:32pm
Going to a pot luck dinner on Saturday and have been asked to bring a side dish (NO POTATOES) and a dessert. Have decided on a trifle with jelly for dessert but no idea for a side dish, please can i have your ideas.

dezzie, Jul 7, 5:03pm
A mix of cauli and brocolli in a cheese sauce.

toadfish, Jul 7, 5:56pm
Toadfishes Brown Rice Salad

1 cup brown rice
1 3/4 cup water
1/4 cup soya sauce (light if available)
1/2 onion finely chopped

Cook the rice in the water & when cooked & still hot add the soya sauce and finely chopped onions let cool (a couple of hours preferably overnight)

Add the following ~
1 red pepper chopped
2 Spring Onions
1/2 cup roasted peanuts chopped ( I leave them whole)
1/2 cup each of roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds and sultanas.

Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 clove garlic crushed
1 tsp fresh ginger
1 tsp honey or Sugar

Mix and pour over salad. Mix well.
I have the dressing in a jar, the nuts etc in a bag and the rice in the fridge and just mix together last minute.

whiskey13, Jul 7, 10:29pm
Thanks toadfish, that sounds great but I've just been told that the dish has to be a "winter pot luck side dish" and I've got it in my head that salads (of any kind ) are summer dishes. Will keep it for when/if the need arises, thanks

ant_sonja, Jul 7, 11:00pm
Roast veggie Salad (served warm) with wholegrain mustard dressing and fresh herbs. Peel/chop and season veggies of your choice (for example beetroot/parsnip/swede/pumpkin-
/kumara/carrot/onion/turnip) with plenty of salt & pepper,coat in oil or melted lard and roast in hot oven dish until cooked. leave to cool slightly. Make a dressing using wholegrain mustard and mayo (freshly made is best or a good quality bought mayo will do) as well as a splash of apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar, mix this to taste adding more s&p if desired. Stir into warm veggies and add plenty of fresh chopped herbs such as parsley & chives & tarragon.

kiwitrish, Jul 8, 12:22am
How about yorkshire puddings.I make them all the time when catering.They can be made in advance and frozen in snap lock bags, then taken out and heated in the oven for about a minute or so.They always go down well.

kiwibubbles, Jul 8, 12:26am
what about a leek, broccoli and cauliflower crumble? its definitely a winter dish

kiwibubbles, Jul 8, 12:30am
2 leeks
30g butter
1 TB plain flour
160ml milk
120ml water
400g broccoli cut into small florets and pieces
30g parmesan cheese
flaked salt
freshly cracked black pepper

and for the topping:
125gplain flour
1TB finely chopped fresh basil
pinch flaked salt
90g chilled butter cubed
60g fresh dried breadcrumbs

preheat oven to 190c. prepare leeks by cutting off the main green top and the root bottom. Cut the remaining leeks in half lengthways and rinse well under cold water. Pat dry with kitchen paper towel and thinly slice.

heat butter in a large saucepan over medium heat and cook leeks for 3-4 minutes o0r until tender. stir in flour and cook for 2 minutes. remove from heat and gradually add milk and water. return saucepan to heat and bring to the boil, allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes. add broccoli and cook with a lid slightly ajar for 5 minutes. stir in cheese, season to taste with salt and papper.

transfer to a medium sized oven proof dish or individual ramekins.

topping:
for the topping combine flour, basil and salt. Rub in butter to form a crumb consistency. Lastly stir in breadcrumbs. Sprinkle crumb mixture over broccoli and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.

Variation - substitute cauliflower for broccoli.

kinna54, Jul 8, 8:37am
No potatoes: what about kumara? I was going to suggest a warm kumara salad.
Pasta bake, Maybe a Mornay of some kind,(cheese ham and asparagus mornay is yummy)stuffed peppers or stuffed mushrooms,crumbed mushrooms, crumbed camenbert? What about foccacia bread, maybe herb or pesto scrolls to accompany the meal.